€15,000 to save - which bank

firsttimeted

Hi there.

I just got engaged and myself and the fiance want to start saving for the wedding etc.

I have €15,000(lump sum) approx to save while she will be able to save about €1,500 a month. I will be jobless in the new year so it might take me a while to contribute monthly.

Does anyone know of any saving accounts which would be best? Most of the ones I have checked out have a maximum limit that can be saved per month.
Would it be best to put the lump sum in a bank by itself and have a separate monthly savings account?
I would be saving for 1 year.

Thanks

See here and here.

If you look back through previous threads in this forum, there are plenty of discussions about mixing and matching lump sums and regular savings.

The ECB are expected to drop interest rates next week by between 0.5% and 1%.
So get that lump sum into a fixed rate account while you can!!
Anglo and Halifax have the best 1 year rates for 15K.

Are those figures still valid. I couldnt find any mix and match threads. Any chance you'd point me in the right direction? Thanks

Anglo are still offering a fixed rate of 6% for 12 months. If you're a bit braver Investec are offering 6.5% for 12 months (€20k minimum guaranteed by UK scheme)

Anglo are still offering a fixed rate of 6% for 12 months. If you're a bit braver Investec are offering 6.5% for 12 months (€20k minimum guaranteed by UK scheme)

Why braver ? Investec are very reputable company and surely far more financially secure than Anglo ?

Why braver ? Investec are very reputable company and surely far more financially secure than Anglo ?

Perhaps it's just my lack of familiarity with them. If they are more secure than Anglo I'd welcome that. Their shop front (website) doesn't inspire confidence, it looks semi-professional. I admit that's not the best criterion to judge them on.

I have €15,000(lump sum) approx to save (for one year)

Your best best bet would be to go to Anglo on Monday and lock at 6% before the next ECB cut.
If you can push to 20,000 EUR then go to Investec.

while she will be able to save about €1,500 a month.

8% regular saver with Anglo (again) with a joint account (single account limit is 1,000 EUR per month). There is a risk of the rate dropping but it is the clear current regular saver product market leader for this amount.

I suppose I could combine both the regular saver in Anglo Irish and the lump sum deposit. Thank for your help.

In terms of regular savers I had the original 2 year 7% anglo account

If I had my time over again I'd have gone with First Active. After 2 years I had 24k + interest and the account closed. I had to transfer this to a lower rate account where as had I been with First Active it would still be in the account earning 7.15% AER.

Back