€12k to invest 2 yrs

tailgunner

hello all .Fortunately I have above sum to put away for 2 yrs max(3rd level fees etc)Any ideas please .

With such a short timeframe and a definite requirement for the cash in two years, I'd say your only option is finding a good deposit rate. See here.

hmm good interest rates in current economic scenario? Why not put them in gold - at least you are insured against governments continuing to print money [and they will with their questionable quantitative policies (printing billions out of thin air)]. Authorities get mad and punish note counterfeiters harshly but they are okay with destroying our standard of life by inflating their way out of debt.

While gold is certainly an asset class that can be considered as part of a diversified portfolio, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone who has a two-year time horizon and a need to access their capital at the end of the two year period.

US$ spot price of gold has increased by around 1/3 in the past two years. It's risen from below $400 ten years ago to over $1,600 now. Any asset class that has the potential for dramatic growth like this also has the potential for a dramatic fall also. I'm not saying that I believe this is imminent or likely - I don't speculate - just making the point that it's not suitable for someone with a requirement to access their savings at a fixed point in the short-term.

hmm good interest rates in current economic scenario? Why not put them in gold - at least you are insured against governments continuing to print money [and they will with their questionable quantitative policies (printing billions out of thin air)]. Authorities get mad and punish note counterfeiters harshly but they are okay with destroying our standard of life by inflating their way out of debt.

The primary objective for the OP is to safe guard their current savings, while obtaining a reasonable return on those savings. Accordingly placing their savings in an asset class who's value is primarily determined by fear and greed is not appropriate.

Back