€1200 in USD ?

kellyr4

Im getting an O.A.P to convert € 1200 into USD today, probably in AIB. I put it into XE.com today and it said that € 1200 exchanges to $ 1638. I know a bank customer wont get as good a rate as in xe.com but should i get over $ 1600 for € 1200?

I didnt bother to shop around as I am aware that the banks different rates would only differ in pittens when changing €1200 into USD.

Just wanted to know how much less than xe.com rate, the bank would give. ie. if xe.com says €1200 is worth $1638, would I get over $1600 from a bank?

Heading to the states next month and just trying to work out my budget. Hoping to bring $1600 cash and then splurge the rest on my visa.

Bad idea not to shop around in my opinion - even for "just" €1,200. XE may report indicative retail rates that might be more relevant if they include some sort of retail margin but ultimately it's AIB's retail US$ sell rate that matters. Bringing €1,200 in US$ cash is a bad idea too due to the security issues.

Bringing €1,200 in US$ cash is a bad idea too due to the security issues.

Myself & Oh have brought a lot more cash than this on last few visits to states and never had any problems.

Yes - but carrying that much cash at any time and in any circumstances is risky.

Do you think bringing € 1200 worth of dollars in cash is a bad idea due to the Homeland Security issues ie immigration, or due to the security issue of the fear of getting mugged or robbed?

Plan do do most of my transactions on my Visa card, but want to have some cash for tipping and things like grabbing a Big Mac.

Doing a Carribean cruise and then a major shopping spree in Miami, so I doubt the $ 1600 will be burning a hole in my pocket for too long!

You might just be better off loading up your credit card, safer and rates are better than the high street banks will offer on cash, circa 1.5% off Market

That's certainly what I would do allowing for the fact that there may be security issues with this approach too (e.g. some CC terms & conditions stipulate that cash balances are not covered in the even of the card being stolen/compromised etc.). The minimum CC forex margin is 1.75% as far as I know. IFSRA's CC cost survey has more on this and other CC charges.

Yes - but carrying that much cash at any time and in any circumstances is risky.

Carrying any amount of cash is risky and anyway we put ours straight in the safe as soon as we arrived at the hotel and never carried too much around at any one time.

Can I ask how you would then pay for things like tipping, parking meters, vending machines, fast food outlets, taxis, buses etc.

Yes I agree that it is safer and more beneficial with the exchange rate to load up the credit card, but you do need a certain amount of cash. Plus if you find yourself short on cash during your time in the states, will the charges not be huge to withraw cash using the credit card at an ATM?

Going to the States for 17 days in October. Bringing $ 1600 cash and $ 8000 loaded onto the VISA card. I think this is sufficient cash to cover thoses charges that I may not be able pay for with my credit card.

FYI, as per the reason for my original post, I got $ 1610 for € 1200 in AIB...........Happy days......

Carrying any amount of cash is risky and anyway we put ours straight in the safe as soon as we arrived at the hotel and never carried too much around at any one time.

Fair enough but carrying €1.2K or more is obviously riskier than carrying a smaller amount. I personally would not be comfortable with carrying that amount of cash around at any time but especially when navigating airports, transport and foreign destinations. I always preload some cash onto my CC and then top up using online banking as needed. It's also generally cheaper than alternatives such as cash, travellers cheques, Cirrus/Maestro/Plus etc.

Can I ask how you would then pay for things like tipping, parking meters, vending machines, fast food outlets, taxis, buses etc.
I'd carry a small amount of US$ or just get the cash from an ATM when I arrive. I have travelled to many non € destinations in the past without carrying any native currency and never had any problems.
Plus if you find yourself short on cash during your time in the states, will the charges not be huge to withraw cash using the credit card at an ATM?
No - not if you preload a CC and you avoid ATMs that charge additional fees. I have only once paid an ATM fee (US$2) to get cash from my CC. Obviously I pay the CC's forex marging on € to US$ conversions but nothing else.

Currency exchange office in airport charge approx 10% for dollars. I was in atlanta 2 days ago, they charge almost 12.5% when changing. Its amazing to see people still using them

Many years ago I got some sticky questions from Homeland Security when I had only $100 in cash with me and my credit cards. Luckily I had a CC statement with me. They said that $100 in cash was not sufficient and in future an amount of say $500 would be better.

Fair enough but carrying €1.2K or more is obviously riskier than carrying a smaller amount. I personally would not be comfortable with carrying that amount of cash around at any time but especially when navigating airports, transport and foreign destinations.

I suppose to some people (such as solicitors, accountants, public servants and those in the building trade :D) €1.2k wouldn't be much money. Indeed, it appears to be their 'big mac money';

Back