€1000 reduction in third level contribution

Looks like it was

• I am also providing a once off reduction of the student contribution fee by €1,000 for free fees students; a once-off reduction of approximately 33% in the contribution fee for apprentices in higher education and an increase in the Post Graduate Tuition fee contribution by €1,000 for student grant recipients

What are "free fees students"

What do students pay at the moment?

Brendan
Undergraduate students (1st course not repeating) pay a registration fee (aka student contribution) of €3000 pa plus a student centre levy of €254 in UCD. Fees are free for this cohort (not free though for non-EU nationals). Non-EU nationals would pay a fees from 5K-15K depending on the course.

Presumably the registration fee (or student contribution) is being once off reduced from €3000pa to €2000pa.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtk
Is there a qualifying income level, family incomes less than 100k?
Just paid 3k for daughters fees, family income in excess of 100k, do I get a thousand euro back?

Student contribution

The Student Contribution will be reduced by €1,000 for students in the 2023/2024 academic year who qualify for the Free Fees Scheme. From September 2024, the student contribution fee will be abolished for all incomes under €55,924.

Brendan said the Minister looked surprised by this announcement. It certainly seems "rushed". Look at the wording - the 2023/24 contribution will be reduced? Presumably, the 2023/24 contribution has been paid at this stage? Is he talking about a refund this year or a reduction next year?? Also, this change does not appear in the Expenditure estimates. Curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited:
Is there a qualifying income level, family incomes less than 100k?
Just paid 3k for daughters fees, family income in excess of 100k, do I get a thousand euro back?
based on last year, you'll get a rebate. My kids college offers payment in 2 instalments so I just paid the first half (mainly because I figured it would be reduced again).

My son is doing 1st year again in another college, took a year out as he didn't like the original course. We're liable for fees for 1st year because of this, will we get a registration fee rebate or not does anyone know?

My son is doing 1st year again in another college, took a year out as he didn't like the original course. We're liable for fees for 1st year because of this, will we get a registration fee rebate or not does anyone know?
I don't think so based on my earlier post given that the €1k reduction only seems to apply to those who qualify for the Free Fees Scheme and that doesn't seem to be the case here?

I heard a lecturer saying that university will be free for part-time students earning under €56k. Is that correct? Or are there lots of strings attached?

As I understand it if your are paying full fees as its your son's second undergraduate course you do not pay the registration fee / student contribution at all so the €1K reduction wont apply.

As I understand it if your are paying full fees as its your son's second undergraduate course you do not pay the registration fee / student contribution at all so the €1K reduction wont apply.
My son is repeating first year and that's also my understanding.

What month did he leave last year?

Back