VHI €100 reward for online sign-up

Delboy

I just did this even though I was already signed up for doing all my VHI related comms, claims etc online

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0530/967051-vhi-encouraging-customers-to-do-more-online/
Dermot Goode, health insurance analyst with Total Health Cover, said the cashback initiative is a simple process. Policy holders logon to VHI.ie and click on 'online advantage' to register for direct debit and "edocs". "If they register for both then any single adult will qualify for €100," he said. "A typical family of two adults and two children will qualify for €150
Money will be in your bank account after 01/09/18

Thanks for posting.

VHI said:
Before you get started…

You will need your BIC and IBAN to claim your cash back reward

Access to Online Documents for you and your adult dependants is in MyVhi

Members signed up to Online Documents, or pay for a hospital policy by Direct Debit/Electronic payments, salary deduction, or through your group scheme are automatically entitled to the cash back reward.

Your reward payment will be processed and paid after 1st September 2018.

Dermot Goode is excellent. I have met him previously and also read plenty that he's written / co-written for the various papers etc.

Last edited:
They must be making some profit margin if they can afford to do this.

After several years of pushing their premiums / premia up, they announced sizeable profits for last year and got quite a lot of stick for it. This rebate, along with reducing the cost of some of their plans, is obviously in response to reaction from their customers.

The VHI is a bit of a funny organisation, they sometimes behave like a private company, other times more like a mutual society or state entity.

I have no interest in paying monthly direct debits. I pay my VHI all up front, usually more than a month before the actual renewal date. It seems odd that I can't get the €100 discount unless I sign up to pay later than I already do.

Same here dub_nerd!! I pay the full amount once a year by Debit Card. I haven't logged into my account yet. I need to understand it better. Mr Earls posting above mention electronic payment in his attached VHI snip! In that case are we entitled to the refund.

Last edited:
I think "electronic payment" is just noise words. I'm already signed up for online documents. When I sign into MyVHI the only option it gives me in order to get the discount is to sign up for a SEPA direct debit with a BIC and IBAN.

Its 50 for getting documents etc. Online . and 50 for getting it taken from DD . has to be done by sept .1st. I did it . think it's great . well done VHI

Yep, easiest €100 I've received for a long time. I was already on DD and electronic docs, so One click, put in the bic and iban, and it's done.

I just don't want to pay monthly direct debits. I've fired them a query to see if there's any way around it.

I just don't want to pay monthly direct debits. I've fired them a query to see if there's any way around it.
Just checked the website. It says "If you pay your policy payment through direct debit" It doesn't specify monthly, so I wonder is it possible to pay a single, annual, direct debit, and would this qualify. I can't see why not.

Aha. I didn't realise you could claim half the reward for just getting online documents. I've now done that. Also have asked VHI if a single annual DD is possible, though I suspect they'll say no.

Reply from VHI -- annual direct debit is possible (but see next post also):

Dear Mr dub_nerd,

Thank you for contacting Vhi Healthcare.

I am pleased to confirm we have an online promotion, Online Advantages, whereby when you choose to receive your documentation online and pay us automatically, you can get a minimum of €100 cash back.

The terms of this offer are as follows:

• Vhi policyholders can claim €50 for choosing to switch to online documentation (register on MyVhi and follow the instructions).

• Vhi policyholders can claim an additional €50 for each insured adult dependant (adult dependants are required to register on MyVhi and follow the instructions). An adult dependant is a person over 18 years of age on the date of registering on MyVhi for online documentation.

• Vhi policyholders can also claim another €50 per policy if they choose to switch to automated payments (log onto MyVhi and follow the Direct Debit instructions). This can be monthly or annual direct debit payment. You may set up an annual direct debit now with next payment due date at your renewal in January 2019. If you wish to do this, please contact our Customer Services Team at (056) 444 4444 who will be happy to assist you. Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday (8am to 7pm GMT) and Saturday (9am to 3pm).

The Online Advantages payment must be claimed by the policyholder through the online portal and will be paid after the 1st September 2018, subject to terms and conditions. Please note the payment is made to the policyholder.

Should you have any queries regarding this, or require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated Online Advantage Team at 023 8863800. Their phone lines are open Monday to Friday (8am to 7pm GMT) and Saturday (9am to 3pm).

As with all insurance companies, terms and conditions apply.

I hope that my response has been helpful. If you need any further information, you can reply to this email or alternatively please call us on the number supplied above.

Kind Regards
Ms. VHI

Haha. I knew it couldn't be that simple. I rang them to set up annual direct debit. Sorry, can only sign up for that when you get your next invoice, a month in advance of renewal date. If that's after September 1st, you've missed the €50 offer. So yes I can sign up, but sorry, no free money.

Dub_nerd, it does sound like they are contradicting themselves, with the letter saying it is possible, and then the phone team saying it is not. If might be worth pursuing, if you think it's worth €50, depending on your stomach for dealing with "computer says no". :)

They were pretty adamant on the phone that you can't sign up to annual direct debit in advance of your renewal notice. So basically unless your renewal is before next October you will miss the boat on the discount.

And no, I've been working in IT all my life so I know how "flexible" these systems are, and that the wisest course of action is always to give up at the first sign of adversity. :D

I hear ya (work in IT all my life (to date!) as well). I mentally charge my own time out at €50 per hour, so know I would be at a large loss if I were to pursue it.

(i you haven't seen it, for a non-IT scenario, google Rod Gilbert's Egg and Cress Sandwich. I feel for him).

Back