Key Post: Can I use an iPod while jogging?

ah lad

Just wondering is the iPod mini any good for running?? Don't know if it skips or not with it being a HDD.......

Re: iPod

I'm not aware of any hard disk based MP3 player that is recommended for use during vigorous exercise due to the problems with impact damage, skipping etc. Better to use a flash memory based one for that sort of carry on.

Re: Can I use an iPod while jogging?

ah lad said:
Just wondering is the iPod mini any good for running?? Don't know if it skips or not with it being a HDD.......

AFAIK the built-in buffering should avoid you suffering skips while out on the road. But the regular motion will reduce the life of your iPod.

Can anyone recommend a good cheap iPOd?

Also I am going to the US next week and wondered if they were cheaper over there?

m

mickeyg said:
Can anyone recommend a good cheap iPOd?

Also I am going to the US next week and wondered if they were cheaper over there?

m
Do you mean a cheap iPod or a cheap MP3 player? Do you mean a hard disk (5-40GB for example) or a flash memory (< 5GB) based player? There are loads of sites that provide reviews and recommendations of all sorts of brands of MP3 players and which you should be able to find using Google. For hard disk based Apple alternatives look out for brands like Creative and iRiver. Non Apple devices are often cheaper, more fully featured and have better sound quality even if they don't have the (supposed) sex appeal of Apple devices. Like most electronics gear MP3 players are a lot cheaper in the US than here.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the diff between the hard disk and the flash memory one??

£ for £ which do you think is the best option??
m

As ever Wikipedia gives a decent overview. There are loads of other sites out there that review and compare the different types of MP3 player available. In general if you want to exercise with one you may need to opt for a flash device. If you want to carry your full music collection with you then you will need a hard disk based player. € for € the hard disk players would generally give the best value for money. Look out for additional features such as built-in radio tuner, voice recorder etc. You should read up on the various different types and makes available before making a choice that suits your needs.

mickeyg said:
Forgive my ignorance but what is the diff between the hard disk and the flash memory one??m
The hard disk one has a disk in it that stores the information. A reader head then travels over the disk to read the information. Because there are moving parts an impact can cause the reader head to bang into the disk and damage it's surface. The disk in an MP3 player is made from glass (the hard disk on a desk top is made from nickel plated aluminium) so there is less chance of surface damage but it's still not as resilient as a flash memory MP3 since that one has no moving parts.

I've been using an iPod Mini while jogging for about 5 months without problems. Can't vouch for it above 45 minutes because my legs give in then!

Why is everyone gone iPod crazy. IPod are way over priced and by the way their prices are coming down month by month. the creative labs "zen" is a good little number and it is better than the iPod. I have loads of friends who have IPods and they all keep complaining about the connection cable to the PC. It is faulty and they have to leave it a certainway in order to transfer MP3 from their PC to the iPod. I would stay away from Apple iPod and buy a Creative zen.

Some people use the term iPod, or worse still iPod clone, when they actually mean MP3 (and other digital audio) players in general. I agree with you about there being better value and quality players available.

Non Apple devices are often cheaper, more fully featured and have better sound quality even if they don't have the (supposed) sex appeal of Apple devices

Cheaper, yes. More fully featured with better sound quality certainly not.

There's one overwhelming reason to use iPod over any other player and that is iTunes, which is WAY better than any other music database software on the market.

It will change the way you use music.

With the euro-dollar exchange rate (and the absence of VAT) the iPod will cost you far less in NYC than you will pay here for one of the better iPod imitators such as the Zen.

The story above about bad iPod cables is one I've never heard before. I've been using my iPod now for 3 years with the original cables and original battery. Of course it's "only" a 10GB model so it's full up at last :(

extopia said:
Cheaper, yes. More fully featured with better sound quality certainly not.

In the recent past Creative devices were generally considered to offer better sound quality (e.g. higher SNR and better sound reproduction/dynamic range generally) than iPods. I think that this may still be the case and that iRivers also compete well too. I'm sure that there are good technical competitive reviews available that will shed more light on this.

There's one overwhelming reason to use iPod over any other player and that is iTunes, which is WAY better than any other music database software on the market.

Not all digital audio player users are interested in buying music online like this and many (myself included) prefer to convert their existing and growing CD collections to digital so this may not be a killer application for most users.

With the euro-dollar exchange rate (and the absence of VAT) the iPod will cost you far less in NYC than you will pay here for one of the better iPod imitators such as the Zen.

Of course an iPod in the US will cost less than another manufacturers' player here. But if you're buying in the US then a Creative or iRiver or whatever may compete with the iPod on US price. By the way, if you look at the history of solid state and hard disk based digital audio players then you will see that Creative (and others) beat Apple to market with one so, if anything, the iPod is the imitator here.

Creative devices were generally considered to offer better sound quality

Sound quality in these devices is all about the kind of compression you use and the quality of your headphones. The players themselves are only hard drives. In my opinion apple's supplied headphones are the best on the market. And the iPod is certainly capable of playing most if not all of the file formats out there. So really all players on the market are potentially equal in this area. The iPod's built in sofware (a slimmed down version of iTunes) is what differentiates it on a performance level, however. The whole iPod-iTunes-Macintosh system is a triumph of seamless integration and has to be experienced to be believed.

all digital audio player users are interested in buying music online like this

iTunes indeed includes the best music store on the market. However I am referring to the player/music management/jukebox software, not the store. Try it and see for yourself (free download, mac or pc).

euro-dollar exchange rate etc

I agree with you about price. But the poster asked if the ipod was cheaper over there. It is. By far.

iPod is the imitator
Huh? Do you really believe that? There's a very good reason why Apple's iPod is the market leader (92% of all US hard-drive players last october were iPods), DESPITE its high price. I really don't care if the iPod was first to market. But you can't argue with the fact that it created the market for hard-drive-type players (which are far cheaper than flash players on a megabyte for megabyte basis). The iPod is by far the best and most elegant device on the market, in my opinion.

If you dig around in that Wikipedia entry you referenced you will find plenty to suggest that Creative copied Apple. But in the end, who cares? Each to his or her own.

By the way, to return to the original question, you can use the ipod while jogging, many many of us do. It has a 20 minute cache so it won't skip at all on short runs (if at all.)

extopia said:
Sound quality in these devices is all about the kind of compression you use and the quality of your headphones. The players themselves are only hard drives.

That's not true. The quality of the digital to analogue circuitry/components plays a key role in the quality of the sound reproduced.

iTunes indeed includes the best music store on the market. However I am referring to the player/music management/jukebox software, not the store. Try it and see for yourself (free download, mac or pc).

Fair enough. I assumed that you were referring to the online store specifically.

I agree with you about price. But the poster asked if the ipod was cheaper over there.

And you said that an iPod in the US would be cheaper than a Creative here. Hardly a fair comparison?

The iPod is by far the best and most elegant device on the market, in my opinion.

Fair enough. Prospective buyers of digital audio players should check out the many technical and user experience reviews available online for a more balanced and objective view before making a choice on which player best suits their need and budget.

By the way, to return to the original question, you can use the ipod while jogging, many many of us do. It has a 20 minute cache so it won't skip at all on short runs (if at all.)

The caching mechanism may help prevent it skipping but banging any hard disk based digital audio player won't do the hard disk any good in the long run. If you banjax the hard disk you can do a DIY replacement on some players using information posted on the web. Not sure if this is possible with the iPod though?

And you said that an iPod in the US would be cheaper than a Creative here. Hardly a fair comparison?

20GB Players
Creative Zen Touch - Irish Price (Peats) €269
iPod - US Price (Apple Store online) €230 ($299)

ClubMan said:
In the recent past Creative devices were generally considered to offer better sound quality (e.g. higher SNR and better sound reproduction/dynamic range generally) than iPods. I think that this may still be the case and that iRivers also compete well too. I'm sure that there are good technical competitive reviews available that will shed more light on this.

...Not according to What Hi Fi, which consistently rates the iPod as the best portable music player / MP3 type device - based first and foremost on sound quality (partially due to the technically superior AAC over the 10 year old MP3 standard and partly on the device itself) but taking into account user interface & ease of use of the device, build quality, ease of use of the PC & Mac software, battery life and features.

That's not to say the the Creative and iRivers etc. aren't good, but that the iPod is better.

extopia said:
20GB Players
Creative Zen Touch - Irish Price (Peats) €269
iPod - US Price (Apple Store online) €230 ($299)

Are you sure that the Apple US online store delivers outside the US/North America? If not then a fairer comparison would surely be the the Apple EU/Ireland online store price versus a local Creative vendor's price or else just stick to all US high street prices. That was my original point about your comparisons.

Jeez Clubman, no, the Apple store does NOT deliver outside of North America.

I'm comparing the US street price of the iPod with the Irish street price of the Zen. I am demonstrating that if the original poster goes to the US he or she can get an iPod for less than he would pay for a comparable capacity non-iPod in Dublin.

Q.E.D.

extopia said:
Jeez Clubman, no, the Apple store does NOT deliver outside of North America.

I'm comparing the US street price of the iPod with the Irish street price of the Zen. I am demonstrating that if the original poster goes to the US he or she can get an iPod for less than he would pay for a comparable capacity non-iPod in Dublin. If you follow the logic of the thread you will see that you are starting to contradict yourself.

Q.E.D.

According to the SBPost, if you go to just about any European capital city apart from Ireland, the iPod [or presumably any MP3 player] is cheaper.

Barcelona is apparently the cheapest - you can save about €40.

Back