when will builders look for money?

Sam Sprout

Hi,
Our house is due to be ready in 2 wks and reckon we'll have keys then. at what stage will the builders look for our money as drawing down in Dec isn't the best thing to do as we wo't be able to maximise our trs as first time buyers.

You wont get the keys until you complete the sale and hand over the entire purchase price.

Ask your solicitor how much time this will take and when you will be likely to complete.

Have you had a survey / snag llist done yet ?

Thanks for reply. No aven't had that done yet. Getting it done Monday week. Ill talk to my solicitor tomorrow about holding it off. Do you know if I am legally entitled to hold off payment for 3 weeks? that would bring us up to January which would be perfect

Thanks for reply. No aven't had that done yet. Getting it done Monday week. Ill talk to my solicitor tomorrow about holding it off. Do you know if I am legally entitled to hold off payment for 3 weeks? that would bring us up to January which would be perfect

Depends on the terms of your contract which have varying time limits so you really need to ask your own solicitor this one.

OP, If you haven't done your snag list yet, you probably wont close in 2 weeks. It took nearly 8 weeks (if not longer) between us getting the snag done and builder making changes, and then closing the deal and getting keys. Might not take you as long, but I'd be surprised if it was done in 2 weeks...very quick!

Back