Tiler's rates

Sam Sprout

I'm looking to tile downstairs floor with polished porcelain tiles but am getting huge variations in prices from tilers. Can anyone enlighten me with acceptable rates for tilers at the moment? I know that polished porcelain are more exoensive to lay but was shocked at the difference in prices.

I paid 40 per sq yard recently. Tiler mentioned that its normally 50 per sq yrd but that I was getting a good deal. Whoopee. I allowed him to proceed (begrudgingly) but in turned out there was a large amount of work involved in cutting the slates.

I paid 40 per sq yard recently. Tiler mentioned that its normally 50 per sq yrd but that I was getting a good deal. Whoopee. I allowed him to proceed (begrudgingly) but in turned out there was a large amount of work involved in cutting the slates.

Do you mind me asking where in the country you are based?
This price sounds like capital city price to me and expensive at the that.
What size were the tiles (60x60cm)?

Ball-park here (Cork), €22-€27 per square yard.
Getting someone who really knows what he/she is doing is important so if a recommendation is a little more expensive I would go with it.

I am based in our nations capital. I paid 20 per sq yard for staggered brick effect wall tiles. The floor tiles were about 9 mm thick so they had to be cut in a stone tile cutter, hence the additional cost of 40 per sq yard.

A brother in law of mine who does tiling nixsers in the west of ireland said he would have charged about the same to cut the floor tiles. So although I am not thrilled by the value for money I would not classify the 40 euro quote as a rip off.

Cheers for that lads. Im in Cork and was gettin prices ranging from 19 -27€ so I guess that's the norm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but does anyone have a current rate for tilers in the Dublin area. I would presume as I'm earning considerably less than 2008 the tiler's rates would have come down also. We wish to put down polished porcelain tiles in the kitchen and hall.

Back