Rent tax relief

Curious81

Hi! I have never claimed rent tax relief before, as I have only been working for less than 2 years. I am planning to claim my rental tax credit for 2007 and 2008, but the I don't have any receipts for rent. I do have a copy of the original contract stating the amount to be paid monthly and bills in my name for my rented address for the past two years as proof of residence. Does anybody know if this would be sufficient if I were audited?

The lease / contract should be sufficient as long as it has details of the address of the rented property, your name and the landlord's or agent's name and address and the amount payable

Does one have to put in a seperate claim form for every year? Sister has been renting in the same house since 2004, has never claimed rent credits.
Does she put in 1 claim form for 2004, one for 2005, one for 2006, one for 2007, one for 2008?

thanks

Might make sense to submit individual forms for each year and maybe include a copy of each years' P60 and ask for a P21 balancing statement to be prepared for each year. She'll want to get the 2004 claim immediately otherwise, by Thursday she will no longer be able to backdate claims for 2004 tax credits/relief.

From my experience , you dont need receipts /books / contracts/ leases / etc

In this regard the rent tax credit form ( rent1 ) asks 3 questions :

1. Landlords Name
2. Landlords address
3. Landlords PPS No

I have seen claims sucessfully submitted with Q.1 & 2 answered only.

However receipts must be provided if requested ( which is very rarely )

i live at home and want to claim rent tax allowance how do i do this without my parents having to pay tax

Back