want a real fire

N

newbie124

i am in newly built home (first buyer) and the fireplace was set up for gas fire. there is a pipe in the fireplace. but as far as i am aware there is no gas connected to it. we do have natural gas to heat the radiators.

what i am wondering is what do i need to do to put a real fire instead of the gas fire. do i just get rid of the pipe or do i need to put any special stuff on the walls inside the fireplace so stop the heat from cracking them.??

I had the same situation a few months ago. Firstly you need to check with the builder that the chimney is suitable for a real fire. Then I had to get the gas "blocked off" the pipe was removed/buried under concrete which had to dry for a couple of days. It's not a big job, but the first plumber I contacted asked for an €80 call out charge - even though he lives less than a mile away - then wanted labour and materials on top of that!! So shop around - I wish I could charge €80 just to get out of bed!

thank Rois :)

i think the chimney is suitable. well i asked the builder who no offence to any builders seriously hadnt a clue. his answer was "suppose so" and shrugged the shoulders and he was the foreman :(
i have seen other houses in the estate with smoke coming from chimeneys so i suppose its ok.

thank Rois :)

i think the chimney is suitable. well i asked the builder who no offence to any builders seriously hadnt a clue. his answer was "suppose so" and shrugged the shoulders and he was the foreman :(
i have seen other houses in the estate with smoke coming from chimeneys so i suppose its ok.

Ask the builder again. He needs to tell you whether the flue is lined. If it isn't, you'll do serious damage and possibly burn down your house.

If the pipe is in the fireplace you will need to remove it or cut it back and cap it. If this is a gas pipe you should have somebody approved by bord gais to do it.

Also,
Your fireplace will need a fireback installed.

You can buy one for about 30 euro. You will also need some fire cement to seal around. You can buy a 5kg tub for 15 euro or 1 kg tub for 6 euro. You will also need broken up bricks to put dow the back and sides of the fireback and seal it at the top with cement up to the flue gatherer( regular cement will do) You can buy a 10 kg bag of sand and cement in atlantic homecare or something similar for 10 euro.

There is a link here with instrctions [broken link removed]

Ask the builder again. He needs to tell you whether the flue is lined. If it isn't, you'll do serious damage and possibly burn down your house.

:eek:, I would be very surprised if the chimney is not lined.

To OP, get pipe capped in fireplace and bury under floor level, do not remove as you may want a gas fire in future. Disconnect that pipe from the gas outside the fireplace and cap.

We did it a year or so ago, except we changed the gas for a Nestor Martin hotbox. Just cap the pipe, break the cement and bury the pipe in new cement. Then disconnect the other end of the gas from the mains (get someone qualified for this. As was said before, leave the piping in place so you can put gas in again if desired.

Find out if the flue is lined and you should be good to go.

HI newbie.
The pipe is straight forwrd enough the fireback should be inserted and packed behinf with a mix of 7:1:1 sand lime and cement and the sloped up to the flue gather so that you have no flat spot for soot/ash to lodge. If you look up the chimney and see an orange terracotta type pot then it should be good for solid fuel.
But as important is your existing fireplace, is the insert cast iron or granite? and is it packed with rock wool or cement when you look up the back of it and is this sealed to your wall? Then look at your hearth is it all one piece of marble/granite or does it have lines and split into tiles? These allow for expansion and the same should be present in the insert if its granite/marble other wise they may crack due to the heat. i know some people who have gotten away with it but just be aware of it but he fill behind the insert is important as its a fire hazard.

Back