house price reduction?

marion1

Hi I am just wondering can anyone help me. Wondering can I get reduction on new build in the west dublin area. Have managed to get 20 off but just think in this market can i get more? house on sale for 395-3 bed semi. Dont know whether to just wait a few months or buy now??? oh its so bloody hard to decide what to do!!!!

Marion its really not hard to decide what to do now. In the present market to buy now would be a really really really really really bad idea.

20k on a 395k reduction house sounds like an absolute tiny percentage in this market.
Most people seem to be pushing for closer to 20% or 100k in your case

20k on a 395k reduction house sounds like an absolute tiny percentage in this market.
Most people seem to be pushing for closer to 20% or 100k in your case

hs anyone recently purchased where they managed to get a 100k off a house priced in this region

I would agree that 20K off a 395K house is a pittance in this market.

Saw an advert for top quality apartments in Derry recently that were reduced from £325k to £225K - now thats more like a saving in today's climate.

Even if you were to get 50k off, I'd still say it looks like a bad time to buy. This time next year your house could have fallen another 50k below that, for all any pf us know.

I wouldn't worry too much about what % you're getting off the asking price. After all, even if you get 100k off the asking price, thats not to say that the new price is not still overinflated.

For example, in the development in which I live the asking price of a new house has dropped 98k (from 398 to 300) from about 12 months ago. However the new price still represents 33.33 times the annual rent. Property investors would tell you that anything over 15 or 16 times is symthematic of a property bubble!

thats true i have..but if circumstances allowed i would prefare to bidding in about a years time.

Thanks guys-half thinking thats I would be mad to buy but then I just really want place but ask me this time next year and il prob say thank god i didnt buy...hopefully

A friend last week put in a bid for 8% (35K) less than asking price for a new house in a new developemnt and got declined. What chance is there if develpers and not willing to drop that little amount now :(

Im about to put in an offer near 20% less than asking price also for a new house in a new developement. More than likely will be declined but there is no harm trying!

Thanks guys-half thinking thats I would be mad to buy but then I just really want place but ask me this time next year and il prob say thank god i didnt buy...hopefully

If you are saying I hope that I have the sense to not buy now, then why are you even looking at houses? A lot of posters here continue to post about getting huge money knocked off and that ina years time it will be even lower again (it must be only predicting rises thats banned), One poster says your mad to buy yet is trying to buy a house herself and another thinks comparing apartments in Derry with houses in Dublin makes sense.

The best advice that I can give is to buy for the right reasons at a time that suits you. If taking a step forward in your life entails having a home to call your own and you can well afford it I don't see the madness in pursuing that goal, by all means knock as much as you can off the price but don't be swayed by those that would make you feel like a moron for making up your own mind.

A friend last week put in a bid for 8% (35K) less than asking price for a new house in a new developemnt and got declined. What chance is there if develpers and not willing to drop that little amount now :(

An argument that is often used is put the shoe on the other foot, would you see it as a little amount if the developer were to add €35k to the asking price?

And you would be fully right
Herd Instinct, you can tell 100,000 buyers to hold off. Prices will naturally drop as demand falls, when they do eventually decide to buy prices will rise again as demand rises. There are plenty of overpriced places out there but there are also bargains,

maybe Thomas you're snapping up all the forced sales as there's no other bidders and you'd like to keep it that way.

Herd Instinct, you can tell 100,000 buyers to hold off. Prices will naturally drop as demand falls, when they do eventually decide to buy prices will rise again as demand rises. There are plenty of overpriced places out there but there are also bargains,

maybe Thomas you're snapping up all the forced sales as there's no other bidders and you'd like to keep it that way.

Thomas 22 is on dozens of other threads encouraging everyone who'll listen not to bid within 100k of an asking price. On many of those he admits he's buying himself.

Here's an example from last April. Nobody should take his views seriously

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=79889

So what you are advising? Should people forget the haggling and offer the full price asked?

Of course not. But following the advice of someone who says on the other thread "if they aren't laughing at your offer you haven't bid low enough" while the same person may be bidding for the property himself makes no sense.

Take a line somewhere between the two extremes (the two being an EA and Thomas 22)

If you are saying I hope that I have the sense to not buy now, then why are you even looking at houses? A lot of posters here continue to post about getting huge money knocked off and that ina years time it will be even lower again (it must be only predicting rises thats banned), One poster says your mad to buy yet is trying to buy a house herself and another thinks comparing apartments in Derry with houses in Dublin makes sense.

The best advice that I can give is to buy for the right reasons at a time that suits you. If taking a step forward in your life entails having a home to call your own and you can well afford it I don't see the madness in pursuing that goal, by all means knock as much as you can off the price but don't be swayed by those that would make you feel like a moron for making up your own mind.

Well said.

Thomas 22 is on dozens of other threads encouraging everyone who'll listen not to bid within 100k of an asking price. On many of those he admits he's buying himself.

Here's an example from last April. Nobody should take his views seriously

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=79889

Please refrain from personally attacking other posters as per the Posting Guidelines.

Fwiw, I think its pretty daft to expect that people's views of deals and of the market in general will not evolve over a period of 6+ months.

Back