Online Car Scam

Louise-eve

Hi All!

Recently I was a near victim of a well organised online car scam. I saw an ad on www.carzone.ie for a 2002 black Mini One and the asking price was 5,000 euro. I sent an e-mail to the seller and this is their reply:

Mini One 1.6 Petrol 2002
The price is 5000Euros
Petrol, 3 doors, manual transmision, black, 75000miles,new timing belt fitted.
NCT 08/2010, Tax 09/2008, Black Mini with Chrome Silver Mirrors. C/W adjustable steering wheel, alloys, CD Player, airbags, rear headrests etc. Spotless inside and out. Lady owner.
Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Bmw service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately she died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
Here are some photos.
Many thanks,
Amanda

There were photos of the car attached also showing the registration plate 02-D-80521.

I replied:

Thank you very much for your quick response. I am definately interested in buying the car. I live in Limerick, Ireland so I will have to make the arrangements to go to Liverpool. I was thinking of possibly flying over on Saturday 11th October and getting the ferry to Dublin that night. Would that date suit you?

Kind Regards,

Louise.

They replied:

Hi Louise,
As I allready explained, I live in USA and I will go to Liverpool only for this affaire.
I could meet you in Liverpool on Saturday 11th, if that's ok for you too, but I have to be sure that you are serious, because I have a long way ...from USA to UK .
So here are my conditions:
I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it .And as a warranty that you really want to buy the car and that you have the money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a payed deposit on your name , for the price of the car ( 5000 euros). Regarding the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, named Western Union. It is used for sending cash money . All that you have to do is to ask a friend or family to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool, to your name as receiver.
(I ask you to do this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you will be ready to buy it because last week I went to Liverpool for nothing. A man from Dublin told me that he wants to meet me and buy it , so I went to Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails .)
After you make the transfer, I want you to send me an email with the scan of the receipt , so I can check with Western Union and if the transfer is ok, I will come to Liverpool to close the deal.
You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale documents. Then we will go to a Western Union office, you will take the money and pay me.
PS: I told you that someone else must be the sender, not you, because some Western Union offices do not give you the money if the receiver is also sender.
Regarding the transfer fees, you will deduce them from the total amount,So that you won't pay nothing more ,just the price that we agreed ( for example 4800 euros+ fees 200 euros= 5000).
This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket.
Let me know if this is OK with you as soon as possible , let me know if I should reserve the car for you.

Thank you,
Amanda Finnegan

I replied:

Thats no problem Amanda. I can definately understand why you'd want to use the Western Union after travelling that distance for nothing. Will you please reserve the car for me and as soon as we have transferred the money I will let you know and show you a copy of the receipt. It may not be until tomorrow evening that we do it.

Would it be possible for you to meet us at the airport also?

Kind Regards,

Louise.

They replied:

Hi Louise,
Ok, The car is not far from the airport, but if you don't know Liverpool at all, I can wait for you at the airport.
You must go to a Western Union agent (you can find one in each postal office or Western Union Agency). As I allready explained you in a previous email ( where I told you about the transfer), you will make a deposit on your name for the price of the car ( 4800euros + aprox. 200 transfer fees)..=5000 euros, so you won't pay more then we agreed.
As I told you , you will be the receiver for the money In Liverpool.
Ok, you knew about the fees, I told you about that. I told you that you will only transfer 4800 if the fees are 200 , so that you don't pay more then we agreed.So if fees are 150, you transfer 4850+ 150 fees= 5000euro
I will wait for the copy of the transfer Western Union tomorrow.
Thank you
Amanda Finnegan

I replied:

Just one more question to ask, where is the car located because my father wants to book an AA 33 point check on the car. Its only a quick test to ensure the car is in a good condition. Do you know if there is an AA centre near the location of the car? They can come out to meet us at the time we book the check for and test the car, once that is done we will go to the Western Union. Sorry about this, my dad just wants to make sure the car is ok. We can't do the money transfer until Monday also, I hope thats ok!

Thank you,

Louise.

They replied:

Hi Louise,
The car is locked in a garage that I have rented in Liverpool. It has been off road for only 2 weeks when it has been serviced . So it is ok, you don't need to do any repair , you don't need to change anything, I changed the tires too, they are new.You can get the car to a mechanic to inspect it.
Ok I will be waiting for the western union receipt!
Thank you
Amanda Finnegan

I replied:

Ok not to worry about that so. Is there a specific Western Union branch that it has to be transferred to? And will that definately be open on a Saturday afternoon since our flight doesn't get in until 2.55pm?

Thanks,

Louise.

They replied:

Hi Louise,
Yes, the western union offices it's opens during the weekend!
There is no problem regarding the address in Liverpool. You can give the address of any Western Union in Liverpool. So I will give you a few addresses form Western union offices in Liverpool and you can use one of them.
UNIT 9A
Liverpool, MERSEYSIDE L2499B, UK
or
35 BELLE VALE CENTRE
Liverpool, L25 3RQ, UK
or
373 SMITHDOWN ROAD
Liverpool, UK LI5 3JJ, UK
or
92 ST.JOHNS SQUARE
Liverpool, MERSEYSIDE L1 1NU, UK
or
58A HOUGHTON STREET
Liverpool, MERSEYSIDE L1 1LP, UK
You can just pick one of them
I will be waiting for the copy of the transfer , ok?
Thank you ,
Amanda Finnegan

I replied:

Hi Amanda,

My dad is too busy with work today to go to the post office but he has the money sorted out and will go on Monday and he will scan the receipt in work, e-mail it to me and I will forward it to you. Sorry about the delay.

We also booked our flights last night. It will be myself, my mum and dad coming to Liverpool so I'd say it shouldn't be hard to spot us.

With regards to the change of ownership, I read this on www.citizensinformation.ie:

Buying a vehicle registered after 1 January 1993
If you privately buy a vehicle that was first registered after this date, the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles) and return it to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Transport. The new details will be registered and the amended certificate will be sent to you. The seller will give the Vehicle Registration Certificate for a pre-April 2004 vehicle to you when you buy the vehicle.
Do you have the relevant information to do this?
Kind Regards,
Louise.

They replied:

Hi Louise,
Here are some photos with the registration document with my name on it and the chassis number.
Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, I don't have a scanner.. I hope this is a good proof.
Ok, I will be waiting for the copy of the transfer!!
Thank you
Amanda Finnegan

Attached she had copies of the official Irish "Certificate of Registration and Licensing" showing her name, the registration plate, the chassis number etc.

I went to www.motorcheck.ie and paid 35 euro to have a description, history and finance check on the car. It all matched up.

I replied:

Hi Amanda,

My father has transferred the money but before we give you details of the transaction we request that you scan your passport and send it to us as proof of identity.

Thank you,

Louise.

I asked for I.D. as I just got a bad feeling about the whole transaction. I also went back to www.carzone.ie and saw 2 ads for the same car. This car is advertised on most Irish used car websites.

They replied:

Hi Louise,
But I sent the car documents. why you want the copy of my id?
So, I will be waiting for the copy of the western union receipt!
Thank you
Ann Hand

As you can see they then used another name proving it was a scam, I also did some more research and found variations of this scam on car scam forums.

I believe they use the receipt you give them and forge an I.D. to take out money from a Western Union branch in Liverpool.

I was lucky to realise this was a scam but I don't want anyone to be a victim of this crime.

Louise.

You should have copped it after the 2nd email they sent you, the rubbish about living in the USA.

You should have copped it after the 2nd email they sent you, the rubbish about living in the USA.

Exactly - it's not the different name that gives it away - it's everything before that, in particular the 3 countries mentioned in 2 lines.

I think I knew all along it was a scam but didn't want to believe it because I really wanted that car :( I'd usually be quite skeptical about internet deals also.. can't believe I nearly fell for it.. how embarrassing!

How much did you lose here - €35 plus WU charges to make and then cancel the transaction?

At least you had the cop on not to proceed. These scams are commonplace now.

Never, ever pay money on a car without seeing and driving it.

Ya exactly.. €35 motor check charge and €177 Western Union charge. I just can't believe they can get away with taking out a large sum of money from a Western Union branch using a receipt and a fake ID! I was never going to give them any personal information anyways and anything personal on the receipt I would have blanked out before sending it on. At least I have learned my lesson and still have my €5000. I also believed the low price because of the situation they explained and also the recession. I will never ever use Western Union! Its an absolute disgrace!

Ya exactly.. €35 motor check charge and €177 Western Union charge.

At least I have learned my lesson and still have my €5000.
Well, €4,788 anyway?
I also believed the low price because of the situation they explained and also the recession. I will never ever use Western Union! Its an absolute disgrace!
Surely it's the original fraudsters who are to blame and not necessarily WU?

Well I guess its a combination of both, more so the fraudsters of course but security should be a lot tighter in those WU branches so they wouldn't be able to plan a scam like that in the first place.

Got 2 of these emails about dead relative on response to really cheap cars.

Both prices were way too low to be true.

Both emails were from different people with the exact same story.

Well I guess its a combination of both, more so the fraudsters of course but security should be a lot tighter in those WU branches so they wouldn't be able to plan a scam like that in the first place.

Most people run a mile when they see a reference to Western Union.

Same old same old.

I can't believe you got caught for 212 squids with all the information there is on here (and elsewhere) about this scam, all of it detailed word for word.

In all fairness, that's a bit like suggesting if we had no roads there would be no road-traffic accidents.

For a scam to work you only need two people, a scammer and a scamee who jumps at a "once-in-a-life-time" , "too-good-to-be-true" bargain.

I did research car scams, not well enough obviously, but hadn't actually read about one this detailed, showing documentation and the fact the Western Union transfer was between a relative and yourself, nothing to do with them.

Anyways I only joined this forum to inform people about it in case they find themselves in the same situation.

In all fairness, that's a bit like suggesting if we had no roads there would be no road-traffic accidents.

And no its actually like saying you should make roads safer to prevent accidents from happening!

No need for the attack on me.. I do realise I made a mistake! I'm only 20 for god sake!

For a scam to work you only need two people, a scammer and a scamee who jumps at a "once-in-a-life-time" , "too-good-to-be-true" bargain.
give the girl a break for god sake........she only posted here to prevent anyone else from getting caught out.

Neither mathepac not anybody else here is "giving her a hard time" in my opinion.
mathepac is trying to make out this girl is a "dimwit" just because she nearly got caught out by this scam.....plenty of people are taken in..or nearly taken in by these scams, at least she was big enough to admit it and post it up here to stop anyone else getting caught out.
ok clubman..rant over!

Back