CGT calcuations

modestus

In relation to CGT calculations can anyone advise me that where a rented property is being sold whether
(a) the Personal allowance of €1270 can be backdated to the year of purchase of the property and can it be sed as an allowance for every year up to the date of sale or is it regarded as an unused allowance for those years
If property bought in 1992 and is being sold in 2005 can I take it that you can only claim one allowance of €1,270 ?
(b) Can stamp Duty paid on acquisition of the property be regarded as an "incidental cost of purchase " and id it allowable for CGT
(c) in relation to major refurbisment expenses like a new kitchen and laminate flooring incurred in the year of sale -are these alloweable expenses for CGT purposes as it will not e possible to claim these for Income Tax deductions as the property will be sold by next year
(d) Are previous refurbishment expenses allowable for CGT purposes even though they were claimed as allowable expenses for Income Tax purposes
Any advice appreciated -its a great website !!

modestus said:
(a) the Personal allowance of €1270 can be backdated to the year of purchase of the property and can it be sed as an allowance for every year up to the date of sale or is it regarded as an unused allowance for those years

No.

If property bought in 1992 and is being sold in 2005 can I take it that you can only claim one allowance of €1,270 ?

Yes - you can't backdate this and claim it for years in which it was unused. Only one annual CGT allowance of €1,270 per beneficial owner can be used.

(b) Can stamp Duty paid on acquisition of the property be regarded as an "incidental cost of purchase " and id it allowable for CGT

As far as I know it cannot be but I could be wrong.

(c) in relation to major refurbisment expenses like a new kitchen and laminate flooring incurred in the year of sale -are these alloweable expenses for CGT purposes as it will not e possible to claim these for Income Tax deductions as the property will be sold by next year

Sorry - I can't answer this one.

(d) Are previous refurbishment expenses allowable for CGT purposes even though they were claimed as allowable expenses for Income Tax purposes

Or this one.

This topic might be of interest to you. Also [broken link removed] may answer some of your questions.

Clubman -thanks for the speedy responses -very much to the point-perhaps Tommy or some person with accountancy background could answer the remaining items?

Back