Lean Mean Grilling Machine

brodiebabe

Anyone have one of these? Are they any use or are they one of these appliances that are left unused in a press?

I swear by my George - I don't have time to cook most of the time but having the george there means i can take it out heat it for 5 minutes and then whack my steak on it for 3.5 - 4 minutes.....yep you heard it right - 4 minutes and youll have a lovely juicy steak with the added benefit that plenty of fat has rolled away.

I've had people tell me they think its crap but when I quizzed them they were always cooking the meat too long and so it feels like rubber...i'm tellin ya 4 minutes max for a lovely medium steak and your laughing....and also ya cant beat it for toasted sambos cos it doesnt squash the edges like toasted sambo machines. only problem is it does take up a fair amount of space

OhPinchy said:
I've had people tell me they think its crap but when I quizzed them they were always cooking the meat too long and so it feels like rubber...i'm tellin ya 4 minutes max for a lovely medium steak and your laughing

I was just about to write that I thought they were crap and that chicken comes out all rubbery....maybe I was cooking it for too long though!!! Always a bit wary with my chicken and tend too make definitely sure it is cooked!

Think I'll get one. Maybe I'll get the baby George first and see if I use it much then I'll invest in the big 'un!

The toasted sandwichs on a George are just loverly! Speaking of which can we ask contributors to post their favorite fillings? I think we had one of these threads some time back, some great ideas came up

Toasted sambos are the nicest ever from the health grill, also toasted wraps are yummy too. Also quite partial to a few sausages cooked on the health grill....

We got one recently and we are using it quite a lot. The main reason it gets so much use is that it is far easier to clean than the grill, frying pan or sandwitch maker. It also has a timer so you just lash on the burgers set the timer and its ready without flipping or turning. We bought ours in Dunnes for €54.

ajapale

Its the most used appliance in our kitchen for cooking. We use it for burgers, rashers, sausages, pudding, waffles, steaks, chicken breasts and all toasted sambos etc,etc,
They say you can, but I dont use it for veg as I couldnt get them anywhere like out of the wok.

If youre doing whole chicken breasts, I admit Ive never gotten them out of the george as juicy as the pan but still, when in a hurry, Id say put them on full for 8 minutes. Try rolling them in seasoned flour first to help keep juices in.

Try lamb kofka kebabs, minced lamb, onion, garlic, diced chilli pepper, rolled up in a sausage, stick a damp skewer through and 7 minutes on the george. mmmm

To clean, leave on full for 3 minutes, then a bit of of a wipe with kitchen paper, add a drop of oil for stubborn stains. Simple.

I had mine for a year and loved it like a child!

But alas in the end the non stick covering has worn off and made it a lot less useful. Perhaps a design flaw!

wiggles, what did you use to clean it? Ive only ever used kitchen roll, ive had mine at least 3 years and the non stick surface is as good as the day I got it.

The next door neighbour had hers in the sink with a brillo pad when I called in one day.

I honestly only ever used kitchen roll or a cloth to clean it. It has worn off just in the centre of the grill which makes it a pain to cook large pieces of meat on.

If youre doing whole chicken breasts, I admit Ive never gotten them out of the george as juicy as the pan but still, when in a hurry, Id say put them on full for 8 minutes. Try rolling them in seasoned flour first to help keep juices in.

Try putting a piece of streaky bacon around the the chicken breast when cooking it - the bacon ends up dry but the chicken is nice and juicy.

lemeister said:
Try putting a piece of streaky bacon around the the chicken breast when cooking it - the bacon ends up dry but the chicken is nice and juicy.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Streaky

[broken link removed]

This is making me hungry... and try putting mustard between the bacon and the chicken for added flavour.

Personally i think the tefal ones are far better as they have large trays for fat removal and you dont have to clean this out everytime, also the plates are removable which means you can take them out and put them in the dishwasher, very handy. I use this grill all the time.

OhPinchy said:
...4 minutes and youll have a lovely juicy steak with the added benefit that plenty of fat has rolled away.

Pinchy! you've just lost the most important part of a steak! Blasphemy to cook steak on anything but a shark-tooth! I'm lost thinking that loosing the part of the steak that yields the most taste is an added benefit!
Re Chicken, in my opinion, if you're going to cook chicken in its plain-old breasted state, use an oven and cook it slowly. If the solution is to wrap a chicken breast with bacon so that the bacon is useless and the chicken is saved, you'll have to do better to convince me!
On the other hand, I have found no better way to toast sambo's....

<
Try putting a piece of streaky bacon around the the chicken breast when cooking it - the bacon ends up dry but the chicken is nice and juicy.>

And another suggestion for mustard????? lordy, this is the thread of the week. More, more!!!

If only Id seen this before doing dinner. I know what I'll be having tomorrow night though.

We use ours definately three or four times a week, mostly for chicken and sambos. We often buy the oncooked rolls in the supermarket, lash in the fillings and grill away, makes lovely pannini type sambos

Gotta agree with Mr Flapjack - no point cooking proper meat (i.e. fillet cuts) if you don't keep some fat with it - this is what gives the meat its flavour and a steak without a bit of fat sounds horrible to me! Let the meat cook in its own juices! Burgers on the other hand could definitely do with losing half the crap in them!!

Back