window replacement

paulpd

Maybe been asked before, but I can't locate anything really.

I want to knock out the back sitting room window and replace with patio doors.

There's a radiator right under the window that'll need to be moved.

Is it a big / expensive job?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Replace window with pation doors

It all depends on your postcode :)

Firstly measure the width of the window and go and get a price for the patio door fitted.

Then decide do you need to move the rad or just shut it off. Are your floors solid concrete or wood on joists with space underneath?

Handy man to remove window, remove wall underneath and tidy up €200.

Mini skip - ???

Another €200 to get a plasterer to tidy up the mess around windows.

Thanks for that.

The window is 7 foot across.

The floor has a laminet on it. The rad would need to be moved to another wall so a lot of boards would have to come up.

I'd want someone to come in and do the lot from start to finish, although I know the doors would have to be supplied and fitted from somewhere else. I have someone that'll do that. Got new PVC windows and a back door for the whole house a few months ago for E6k from him.

I'm in Dublin 12.

The floor has a laminet on it. The rad would need to be moved to another wall so a lot of boards would have to come up.

I'm in Dublin 12.

Your best bet is probably your local ads paper like the Northside People unless you can get a recommendation here.

Moving that rad is not going to be straighforward. You might be lucky and get a good plumber to have a look, he might try and tap off another rad cause removing floor boards and chasing floors is awkard work. Probably best to get that done first and not leave it to the handy man.

Re: Replace window with patio doors

Hi Paulpd, I intend to do the opposite to what you are doing, for the following reasons. Because of the Irish weather there is never a good day to open the door to the garden. The patio door makes the room really cold and I would like to brick it up and just have a window instead.

We had this done (french doors), it didn't cost too much for a plumber to get the rad moved (can't be specific, it was one of a number of jobs). We have old suspended wood floors, so it wasn't as difficult as it could have been.

We had the window fitter knock out the back wall and fit the new doors. They also did some plastering to fix up around the window, but that could use some tidying up. We were charged something around 7k for all the windows (uPVC double glazed), doors (french doors, front door with side panels) and fitting, including knock out for the patio doors and a smaller part at the front door. We're in a fairly standard 3 bed semi.

I love the doors. We have no problems with the temperature and I love the sunlight the let in in the morning. Before we had them put in we had to go through the utility room to get to the back garden, which wasn't great when we had friends over.

any window company will fit, replaster & remove old window. i got windows done this year by templeogue windows (got recommendation on AAM) and they did a great & cheap job

Both my Mother and myself have used Micron Aluminium & Building Services, Dublin 24 in the past while, she replaced windows with patio doors, on her recom. I got new windows and new front door. Couldn't fault them, they were very reliable and hardworking and competitively priced.

Back