Key Post: The best coffee in Dublin ?

Re: The best coffee in Dublin ?

Cafe Mao off Grafton Street - Chatham Row Dublin 2. Great food but fantastic coffee. Also in the Pavillion in Dun Laoghaire.

DaveD

Has anyone been to that Barneys place on Westmoreland Street?

I actually don't think you can get good coffee in Dublin :(
My favourite place for coffee is in Midleton in Cork - a place called Farmgate

Let's hope Starbucks and Costa Coffee arrive in Dublin soon

The Butler's Café chain is pretty reliable.

I've had good coffee in other places, but the standard varies so much that it's hard to recommend any one place.

Starbuck's coffee is disgusting!

That cafe opposite Enoteca delle Langhe has good coffee. Also, the Steps of Rome. Panem on the quays also has good espresso.

Without question - the Italian place on Westland Row Il Caffe di Napoli. Superb!

starbucks isn't bad - it's just that it's way overpriced.

"Without question - the Italian place on Westland Row Il Caffe di Napoli. Superb!"

Beat me to it, I love that place. Their coffee is good, and really good, not like the liquid cack Starbucks squeezes out.

How about the little Italian panini/coffee place in the Epicurean Centre, Middle Abbey St? Very good coffee, decent prices ...

Sherman said:
Starbuck's coffee is disgusting!

I disagree.

The first Starbucks I ever had was in New York and it was almost spiritual. I held on to the empty cup while shopping just to savour the smell. Sad, but it was that good.
On the way home from that holiday I had a Starbucks in Gatwick airport and it was absolute muck. So, it depends on who makes it, not just the logo on the cup.

About 5 years ago, when good coffee was a rarity in Dublin, Brewbakers (just off Nassau Street) was excellent. While standards have risen overall since then, it is still my choice in the city centre.

There's an intriguing looking van (Coffeeangel ?) stationed on the pier at Howth at the weekends selling freshly made coffee and pastries. The combination of the coffee and the location are to be recommended for a Sunday morning walk to clear the head.

Unregistered said:
The Butler's Café chain is pretty reliable.

I've had good coffee in other places, but the standard varies so much that it's hard to recommend any one place.

Butlers are very good and I agree generally consistent - although they have increased their prices - the medium Latte is now 2.40 (up from 2.30) which is no longer good value.

Café Sol and Insomnia are quite good as well.

Can't stand coffee myself but Coffee Angel is in Custom House Square in the IFSC on Wednesdays too and the hot chocolate is really good. Friends rave about his coffee too. And I have to admit that the cookies he sells are also pretty good.

would the cookies be as nice as Kimberley biscuits ?

I doubt it.

Janet said:
Can't stand coffee myself but Coffee Angel is in Custom House Square in the IFSC on Wednesdays too and the hot chocolate is really good. Friends rave about his coffee too. And I have to admit that the cookies he sells are also pretty good.

He seems to have moved to Thursdays now or at least was there this morning.

IMHO, the best coffee in the IFSC area is in La Corte also on Custom House Sq (on the other side to where Coffee Angel parks).

They are part of the [broken link removed] restaurant chain.

Last edited:

IMHO...Coffee, good value, and Dublin / Ireland cannot be used in the same sentance!!

Coffee2Go Mespil Rd, the biggest cups and best value...

Theres a bar called the 40ft in dun laoire. Had a moccachino there last sunday while out for a walk. mmmmmmmmm will compare everything to it from now on.

Back