Santorini

sunflower11

Hi all - anyone been/know of anyone that has been to Santorini? There are fantastic deals there for a week at the moment...were not into lying on beach etc - would be more about going for walks and hiring a car for a day or 2 and just enjoying some nice wine and food. Nothing major...and on a budget - sure isnt everyone!!Thanks a mill.

It's more years than I care to remember, as they say, since I was on the island of Santorini. Then it only had a tiny regional airport so we flew into Crete and took a ferry north to Santoriini.
As I recall, the seas can be very changeable very quickly. We were unlucky in that a huge storm blew up and the five hours on the ferry that particular day turned out to be rather unpleasant ones indeed.
Santorini itself is beautiful. It is volcanic and is noted for the greyish sand it produces. At that time, it had all the beauty of Mykonos and Ios without the huge crowds they attracted.
As I remember it, the island itself is quite small so wouldn't take very long to see it all by car. I look forward to reading some more up to date reports here on Santorini.
Do you mind saying where you saw the good deals on those trips?
If you go, I hope you enjoy your time there.

We went last year direct from Dublin with Xcel I think its called? Had a brilliant week, used public buses to get to Fira and Oia and stayed in Kamari. Beaches are stony there but the water was great! Food and drink out of this world - especially the Greek food - just wonderful and the people everywhere so nice. Highly recommend it and the weather blissful! Scenery amazing - the little white houses perched on cliffs against the background of the volcano and sea below - unforgettable! I would gladly go back I tell you! And the sunsets! And its a very small island so getting around either by public transport or your own is really easy too.

Thanks a mill for the replies...yeah Tinkerbell, same as yourself - Ash have a look on www.xl.com - I have decided I am going to go ahead and book it - its staying in Kamari aswell and its €1100 for 2 of us for the week which isnt too bad - when I compare it to other places...and it seems like its really still unspoilt and quieter then the other islands. Thanks a million, delighted to hear positive reviews!

its a fab place. was there a couple of years ago and loved it. sooo pretty!! am i'm definitely not a lie on beach type of person

Was there about 8 years ago and would rate the week on Santorini as one of the best holidays ever. Beautiful place, wasn't as touristy [then] as some of the other greek islands. You have to experience the sunset at Oaia ... an experience that will never leave me.
Please post your experiences when you get back ... it's high on the list for a re-visit ... with 2 kids this time!!!

Xl.com only seeem to travel there until late September.
Are there any companies that go later in the year: October?
Nicola

Parents just back from there, said it was roasting hot, over 40 most days.
Nice scenary, basic amenities.

I was over there in May at a wedding, it was my first sun holiday in years as I've had the skiing bug. It's a beautiful island, we hired quad bikes and that was a really fun way of getting around the island and seeing everything, they are quite cheap €25/day and can carry 2 people. You can probably get a car for not much more but that wouldn't be as entertaining! We also hired a private boat one evening to go out to the volcano and the hot springs, which was quite reasonable - €150 for 5 people / 2 hr trip. The temperature then was only in the 20's though, not sure if I could hack the 30's & 40's, although it does seem to get quite breezy in the evenings in Kamari (at least in May it did). I would defo go back, it was a lot quieter than any of the other greek islands I was on and the people were lovely, they can't do enough to help.

Just wondered if any stayed in Smaragdi Apts in Perissa, Santorini. Was looking on xl.com at them. Review on tripadvisor seem mostly very positive but seem mostly from UK customers. Any views appreciated.

I booked it!! heading late August...cant wait! I will fill ye in on how I get on when back...

Sunflower11, how was it? Heading there mid September and would love an update. Don't worry about unpacking first, that can wait!!

KatieC - im so sorry....i never thought to log onto this website till just now!!!!! As I am sure you are experiencing now for yourself- the place is a dream. We had a fantastic time, hired a quad and then a jeep for 3 days....would have loved an extra couple of days there! I really hope you enjoyed it!!!!

sunflower11 - erm, no. never got there, thanks to xl.com!

never mind, santorini will be there again, its still on our wishlist

delighted you had a good time!

KatieC

Back