house Insurance renewal after claim

M

mbrophs

I made a small claim (<€650 water damage) last year on my house insurance. Now my renewal is 730. Any suggestions as to where I get a quote that doesn't penalise me for the claim?

Just shop around. Most insurers will ask if you have claimed in the past 5 or so years. Some will load the premium if you have. This is why it's often pointless claiming for relatively small amounts and it may be better to opt for a higher excess and "self insure" your of your own pocket/savings any relatively small incidents.

if the previous owner of a house makes a claim on his/her insurance policy, does the claim die when they sell the house on to someone else?
and especially if he doesn't disclose this information to the new owner, if the new buyer makes a claim on the same house within the 5 year time period?

and what if the new person has a mortgage on the property and all parties (except the previous owner)
don't know that there was a claim?

is the house legally insuranced in the above example, and would the bank look for their mortgage money back if the house wasn't officially insured?

if the previous owner of a house makes a claim on his/her insurance policy, does the claim die when they sell the house on to someone else?
Almost certainly yes. When applying for insurance no underwriter than I know of asks if there have been claims in respect of the specific property in question by any previous owners. Once you fill in the application form honestly and adhere to the principle of uberrima fides then you are insured.

Back