Energy Action free insulation for OAPs etc.

ClubMan

Energy Action provide free insulation services to certain senior citizens and others. For example anybody drawing any state pension qualifies regardless of other means. I inquired on behalf of my mother months ago but never followed up on it thereafter. However in the past couple of weeks they unilaterally contacted her, came out to inspect the job (attic insulation) and said that they could do it (and fit draught proofing to any external doors that needed it) just as soon as the attic was cleared. I'm not sure how many people know about this service but I suspect that knowledge about it may not be that widespread.

I meant to say that when I last spoke to the Energy Action representative a few months ago he did say that there was talk of means testing the services that they provide but I don't know of any concrete plans to do this yet. It would seem sensible to means test this sort of thing but as long as it's not it's available to anybody who meets the basic qualification criteria (e.g. draws a state pension) regardless of means...

Yes I had them out recently to put some insulation in the home of some elderly relatives. They were absolutely brilliant and incredibly helpful.

They also alerted them to the potential for obtaining a grant for adding central heating, boilers and roof repairs. The grant is not from them. If I remember correctly it is administered through DCC but they recently got the approval to have central heating installed.

They were out today and did an excellent job in a couple of hours. Attic insulated to a high standard/depth, new front door and letterbox draught excluders fitted and they even gave her a few energy saving bulbs while they were at it. Her windows and doors were already well insulated but if they had not been then they would probably have done something for these too. Excellent job. And FREE! :)

Clubman,

Wow, that's brilliant news, bet your mum is chuffed!!

Was this the result of your original contact and their first call out or had you to contact them again?

I contacted them a while ago just inquiring. I included my mother's details but told them that I'd get back when we had the attic cleared. I/we never got a chance to do this and put it on the long finger. They unilaterally contacted her a few months later to follow up and arranged to call out to do a "survey". (This was initially the source of some confusion to my mother who didn't realise that I had actually made the initial contact! :)). Once that was done they told her to call them when she had the attic cleared. We did this in the last couple of weeks, she contacted them last week to make an appointment and they called out yesterday and did the job.

Back