new kitchen..hints from the learned

ava1

just wondering if anyone has ant ideas at preplannig stage that would assist us ...where most workspace is need, storage ideas etc

Hi ava1.
I haven't redone our kitchen yet but have seen friends kitchens so I now know what I like/dislike. Storage wise the more the better i think. If you dont have a utility room (which I don't) then a long tall cupboard is great for mops/brushes etc. Also I think its best to have all appliances integrated for that sleek look. I also think granite really adds to a kitchen, the cupboards dont have to cost the earth but with granite a kitchen can still look expensive. I am hankering after cream shaker cupboards topped off by a mushroom coloured granite. Apparently black is a nightmare to keep clean although it looks pretty good I think.
The best layout is to have a triangle from the sink to the cooker and then to the fridge. Any kitchen showroom will be able to work out what best suits you.

like the triangle idea and tall presses many thanks.,,keep them coming

best thing is to go to a kitchen supplier who has a virtual kitchen software package. they can give you a picture of the finished kitchen based on the dimensions of your kitchen space and can chop and change things as you wish. if you go to kitchen world there is a chap there called james. he is the dogs when it comes to using the kitchen software and is very helpful with ideas etc and very knowledgeable about kitchens, i think he is the floor manager there

For personal use, u shaped, with island in the middle, granite if you can afford it. Make sure the doors open the way you want especially fridge/dishwasher etc, leave plenty of room for clearance. Triangle of sink/cooker/fridge very important. Height is important especially if you are tall or short. Bin space or drawer for bin. What do you want it to do for you. Most people make the error of too much storage and not enough work surface.

When we got our kitchen fitted, (as we don't have a utility room for the washing machine and tumble dryer) we got the supplier to put an extra wide counter top over where the machines were going. This enabled us to have extra deep presses and have doors fitted in front of the machines. It meant that we didn't have the appliances on show the whole time.

Allow for low-voltage down-lighters (activity lights) from underneath the kitchen presses onto the work-top(s), and also "mood-lighting" from the tops of the presses to the walls / ceiling.

I'd vouch for the triangle of hob/sink/fridge :)
Also, an eye level cooker saves on bending down and put pot drawer under hob....
And if you have space I would go for a built-in microwave as it looks neater.

If you're having a sink with two sections & counter running between the two, get the area around the sink and piece between at a lower level than the rest of the counter. Hope that's explained OK.
We didn't and sometimes water runs along this when you move the tap from one sink section to the other.
Another handy one if you have space is a bin press to keep bins out of the way.

Hope that helps,m.

I'd vouch for the triangle of hob/sink/fridge
What other way could this be arranged? - how can you not have a triangle when you have three points? Just curious as to whether I'm missing something obvious here.

As an avid follower of interior design trends I think that the fitted kitchen is now dead. Instead go for a seperate pantry/cold room. In your kitchen minimal furniture and from waist down only- no cupboards hanging on wall. Also if you can get away with it space wise, one very big island in middle.

What other way could this be arranged? - how can you not have a triangle when you have three points? Just curious as to whether I'm missing something obvious here.
I think the main point is that it's meant to be a compact triangle rather than one that takes you from one end of the kitchen to the next. Arrange it so that when standing at a certain point in the kitchen you are just a step or two from the hob, the sink and the fridge.

I'd second the 'bin drawer' idea. I got one of these recently. It wasn't cheap but it's so convenient and makes recycling much easier.

what is this thing in Ireland with "islands" stuck in the middle of the kitchen. dont get this at all, they just seem like there taking up space getting in the way of freeflow. it ends up being a place where everything gets landed on it from keys, newspapers, handbags, eating from them etc. starting our new kitchen later in the year, kitchen is about 25 ft x 14 ft. we are having one full 25ft length of a straight kitchen which will give loads of worktop space. putting in one big larder cupboard one end of kitchen, two big windows in kitchen so not much space for top units anyway. we have a utility as well as where was machine machine, vacuum system, dryer etc will be based. very useful having the dishwasher next to the sink when rinsing off messy plates. built in microwave looks good and we are having one of those range style electric cookers with ceramic hob about 90cm wide. big american style fridge freezer a must although i am going for separate side by side larder style fridge and freezer and these will go other side from units in corner area. planning to put a slim long dining table on the other side of the kitchen units for everyday use. i also quite like does pull out iron boards and dont forget wine racks. there are also some nice refrigerated pull out drawers about for keeping your veg and fruit fresh. if you want a tv in the kitchen do you want this under the top units or flat screen on wall away from units.

Would second the bin drawer - really love this and saves clutter on the worktop - we seemed to constantly have milk cartons and drink cartons and stuff on the worktops - all magic'd away now :D
Granite worktops, love them.
Would also second Vanilla - try and get your kitchen company to design something special just for you to get the bespoke look.

just wondering if anyone has ant ideas at preplannig stage that would assist us ...where most workspace is need, storage ideas etc
What sort of dimensions are your kitchen, and how many people would be in it at the same time? Do you have a separate utility room/space or does your laundry have to be dealt with in the kitchen? Do you eat in a separate dining room/area? These are just a few of the many questions that will help clarify what will work best for you.

In my kitchen the approach I took was that as far as possible things should be stored nearest to where they are used. I have an island with small sink in it and plenty of preparation space, twin ovens under an induction cooking area with workspace on either side. The ovens have narrow pull out units at either side for condiments you need when cooking, oils, seasonings, etc. It's really handy to not have to walk away from the cooker when you need these items, and it means the work surface can be kept clear. There is a washup area which includes main sink, dishwasher, kettle & coffee machines.

If you have a corner and more than one person cooks in your kitchen at a time I would suggest you keep your cooker and/or sink as far away from the corner as reasonably possible or you will both be crashing into each other on a regular basis.

For storage there are so many ideas I don't know where to begin, if you can say what part of the country you are in you may get recommendations of places to look at.

Go and buy a couple of kitchen design magazines - there's a good selection on offer - and you will start to get ideas very quickly.

Back