Raised bed with railway sleepers

Brik

Hi,

I have just got some new sleepers to build a raised bed (on grass/earth) and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or links to sites which have a detailed description of how to construct it?

For example, do I need to put hard core or something similar under the sleepers for a base? Will I need to line the bed (or at least the sleepers) with something waterproof to stop them rotting? How do I secure one sleeper on top of another, screws or separate posts?

Thanks for any help!
B

There are some previous threads on railway sleepers that might give some advice.

Presumably you are happy enough with their use despite worries mentioned in some of those threads.

Not sure if you will be able to get some advice on [broken link removed] forum also.

I could be mistaken but I think I read something about the use of railway sleepers over on www.pavingexpert.com some time back so you may find something useful .

Hi Sueellen,

Thanks for the links, hopefully there is something useful there. Yeah, I am happy to use the sleepers as I got new ones so there should not be a drop of creosote anywhere!

Thanks again.

Back