Blocked sewer on road in front of house

helsbells

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me here.

The sewer pipe is getting blocked on the road in front of my parents house. It 's an ongoing issue. The council have been called several times, and now they have said that its a big job to fix the problem. My Dad is involved as he was kindly assiting the neighbour that had the initial problem.

Unfortunately, the council mentioned yesterday that because the main sewer is located outside our house on the road, that its up to my folks to foot the bill. It looks like it will be a big job to remedy, as the road now needs to be dug up which is a big ie expensive job.

To further complicate things, it has transpired that the one of the main issues is a pipe which Chorus have laid beneath the road, which is obstructing the flow.

I'm wondering, is it correct that my parents soley foot the bill to remedy a shared sewer? or should the council be involved?

Also, would Chorus have any onus considering the location of their pipe?

Any help, advise or indeed direction on next step would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There is a clear distinction in law between sewers and drains.

Sewers are the main pipelines carrying foul and surface water drainage. These sewers are the responsibility of the Council for maintenance and repairs.

Drains are the connecting pipes between private premises and the public sewer. A drain that serves more than one premises is known as a combined drain. Drains including combined drains are the responsibility of the persons served by such drains i.e. the house-holders concerned.

Drains are never taken in charge as they are not a Council responsibility.

see here [broken link removed]

Back