Windows Windows Windows

kilbird

I need inspiration - in the hunt for windows at the moment and open to all suggestions??? Do'nt want timber effect PVC but would be interested in coloured pvc, al clad and timber, or timber..budget is about €30,000 for 3200sq ft house....
I have contacted senator, rationel, fairco, balirneill, bonner windows, windows roofing and concepts...all varying in price (and no doubt quality). Anyone suggest anyone else?? Or good things to say about any of the above!!???

Any advice appreciated? Living in Kildare area. Would be willign to try a joiner either???

We are going with these [broken link removed] and have found the dealer in Ireland great to deal with.

I viewed a selfbuild house over the weekend and I was very impressed with the wooden sash windows. The guy used a company called Compass who are based in the North. http://www.compasswd.com

I have no association or dealings with this company.

Hi, We recently installed Alu Wood windows from a firm called Harmon Vinduer. Website [broken link removed]
9 Windows, Including a Box Window
Front Door, Back Door and Sliding Patio Door price €18800

Small Irish company, windows from Denmark.
Found them very helpful.

I have no association with this company, just a satisified customer.

we are thinking of going with ROCO they are in waterford the windows in the showrooms look v good and the prices are ok

Hi killbird. Know exactly how you feel!! Big big decision to make. We went with a crowd in Clonalvy, North Dublin called DL windows. They have a partnership with Kommerling windows in Germany. Very satisfied with the service and support we got from them (no affiliation - just satisfied customer !!!). We went for black PVC which we are delighted with (only in the house a few weeks). Our budget was similar to yours. In total about 26 windows (various sizes and openings), 2 doors (not a front door) and set of french doors for just under 15,000. Can't complain....

Thanks for that folks - also went and looked at Carlson and Dansk at lunchtime - asked for a quote. Have no idea how dear they are but loved the look of the windows...

loop marvin windows into your search - pricey but nice - have chosen them for our build after going through all the other usual names - best sliding sash on the market in alu-clad/timber ... you'll pay for it though - above our other quotes but the product looks superior and we have decided its worth it!

We are going with these [broken link removed] and have found the dealer in Ireland great to deal with.

Second the recommendation for Sorpetaler. Andreas is great to deal with and the windows are superb. Not cheap though.

Wooden windows, made in Germany and shipped to Ireland. Andreas then installs them on site.

Phone 085 7155066

Hi,

I'm using Templeogue Windows (after reading lots of recommendations on AAM). I'm going for plain white, not the prettiest I know but all I can afford. Liam, the owner, is a very helpful and accommodating guy - I'm almost sure he said they do coloured frames as well as the wood effect. The windows seem great quality and are very reasonably priced. PM me if you want the number.

Good luck in your search for windows!

g

Hi, I have Dansk windows they look great but the "service" they gave was (and is) absolutely awful. As a result, my parents were replacing their windows and chose not to go with Dansk because of our experience so they went with Rationel, and the service was equally below par. For example, our windows are very crudely put in but as the fitter is recommended by Dansk and not actually employed by them, Dansk take no responsibility for how badly he does his job. We have not heard from Dansk since they recieved our last cheque, they don't seem to be interested in their product once they have the money. one window was installed very crooked and when the fitter came back he has made such a bad job of finishing this window that it looks awful, we're waiting for him to get back to us again. Rationel have installed one of my parents windows (the glass, not frame) back to front, took two weeks to supply all the windows (delivery arrived with some missing) and there was constant bad-mouthing by the fitters of Rationel which doesn't inspire confidence! I couldn't recommend either company. In my last house I had yucky pvc windows installed, they were highly spoken of as a company and came out 8 years after installation and repaired a window foc for us - no bother. From this experience I was expecting AT LEAST this sort of service for Dansk but so far no sign of it.

Hi, We recently installed Alu Wood windows from a firm called Harmon Vinduer. Website [broken link removed]
I have no association with this company, just a satisified customer.

Same here, satisfied customer of Harmon Vinduer - the windows are fab

Ana14,
regarding your black pvc windows, are they black on the inside as well? how do they look from the inside? i.e. do they darken the room a bit ?
looking to install same as you very soon and have a quote from Fox O'Rourke in Longford Town for 14,000. Senator came in a couple of thousand higher.

Tulip123 and BuddyBoy,

Looked at Sorpetaler and the windows look really nice. Were/are they expensive? How do they compare pricewise with other suppliers of wood/AluClad and with uPVC?

Chrs,

Phil

Hi Phil,
Pricewise they were neck in neck with Harmon Vinduer. Depending on # of windows and shape you could be looking at 50-60k.

We have been using Masterglaze based in Deansgrange, Co Dublin. We've never had a problem with them and are about to use them for the third time in 11 years - orignially got the house windows replaced in 1997, extension in 2000 and now need something further done and are going for the Oak PVC which doesn't look too bad. We found them much better value than the 'better known' names and have never had any problems with them. Good after care service too re readjustment of patio doors, tightening of windows etc. [broken link removed] (No affiliation)

Tulip123 and BuddyBoy,

Looked at Sorpetaler and the windows look really nice. Were/are they expensive? How do they compare pricewise with other suppliers of wood/AluClad and with uPVC?

Chrs,

Phil

I can't compare with others as they couldn't do the sizes we wanted. We were getting 8 windows which were approx 8ft square each, and an 8ft square sliding door, and one 8ft square french door. There was also misc. cladding for steel beams in the same wood.

One company came out to have a look, and they said they couldn't go that big, but recommended Andreas to us. We contacted him and he said - no problem. He came out, recommended a couple of options and had some good ideas that we hadn't thought of. His French door is a thing of beauty. One side can tilt or open, and when it is open, you can leave the other side locked, or open it as well, via a lever built into the door.

We looked at alu and pvc, but pvc couldn't go that big, and alu didn't appeal. In the end we went for wood and are deligted with it.

The windows are tempered (or strengthened) glass and are argon filled. The quoted U value is 1.1

Fitting etc is perfect and Andreas has been back once to fix a lock (broken by the builders) and adjust the french door.

Total cost was 21k. Don't know if this is good or bad, but we're happy.

By the way Marvin and Rational didn't quote.

Lorna - re: your question on black windows. No they do not make the inside look dark at all - but we do have a lot of windows and doors!! If anything, I love the look of roller blinds or roman blinds against the black - very complimentary! The only drawback of black frames that I can see is that plaster or paint can show up on them much more than on other colours. So have spent a lot of elbow grease trying to clean them!! And still more to do!!

AWGT Advanced Windows & Glass Technology in Toughers business Park Naas. Do nice windows with timber finish inside and colour clad on outside. also a Place in Dunlavin "Marvin Windows" I think is the name very high quility and big price range.

Can second the recommendation for ROCO in Waterford. We went with alu clad window (have a huge amount of glass) and are very happy so far with them.. Installed over 1 year ago.
5 bedroom windows (main has bay and side window)
3 bathroom windows
1 French Door with side panel in main room
1 large bay window in main room
2 floor to ceiling windows in main room
2 corner kitchen windows
Sun room 25 sq mtrs mainly glass with double door
back and front doors with glass at side.
priced at around 30K if I remember correctly.

Back