Difficulty renting

finny

Hi,

I'm renting a double ensuite room in my new two-bed apartment. 875 per month (it's really nice) in Dublin 1. Not having much luck on daft.ie. I also handed in the ad to receptions in local office blocks, to no avail. Any other suggested forums/outlets? First repayment due next month and I'm really worried.

Thanks

Are you charging €875 for the double room? :eek: If so, thats astronomical rent! 600-700 max id ask for it!

That seems like an anwful lot, perhaps the reason why there’s no intrest is cause its much too high, I’d imagine at that price you’d only appeal to a couple-however, a 1 bed apartment to rent wouldn’t be much more expensive.

have you checked that what you're proposing to charge is comparable with similar properties? as other's have said, at that price you may be looking at a couple to move in - is that what you want? also include as many photos as possible.

Just to first say at €875 a month, if you rent it out for the whole year, you will be over the rent a room allowance and will have to pay tax on the whole amount.

Have you had any replies at all? If not, it would suggest that the rent is too high for what you are offering.

If you had replies, and people are coming to seethe room and not taking it, then you need to look at a few things
First one again, is are you asking too much for the room?
Is the apartment clean and tidy or is it messy and cluttered?
Are they any strong smells from cooking or smoking in the apartment?
Are you making an effort to be open and friendly with the people that you are showing the apartment to?

I think people are reluctant to rent with the owner in residence as it always feels like you are a guest, and not living there. This means you cannot rent for half of what the full rent would be on the apartment would be. You will have to go lower.

The fact that licensees do not have any tenants rights when living with an owner occupier can be a major turn off.

Where are you in Dublin 1? Sounds a bit expensive...Does that amount include bills too? Even with bills included thats a bit of a stretch. Lowering the price might attract people...

Far too expensive I'm afraid, even if it wasn't owner occupied. You'll have to be prepared to give people a discount on the going rate due to the lack of tenant rights and the vibe of living with the landlord.

€875 for a room in a shared apartment is very steep IMO
For a little bit more you can rent a 1 bed apartment in D1

Hi,

I'm renting a double ensuite room in my new two-bed apartment. 875 per month (it's really nice) in Dublin 1. Not having much luck on daft.ie. I also handed in the ad to receptions in local office blocks, to no avail. Any other suggested forums/outlets? First repayment due next month and I'm really worried.

Thanks

Did you not do your homework about what the rent you would get - looks like 600-700 euro pcm the going rate on D1 for a room in owner occupied flat. Looks like you will need to make up the shortfall.

FWIW, we never got any replies from daft, we did much better with the Evening Herald. Much more expensive, but at least we got replies!!

We are renting out a one bed apartment with parking in D1 for 850 pm. I know its a bit less than market, but we wanted to get the right tenants in. Had 50 replies within an hour of being up on DAFT - the price is definitely too high

Hi,

Thanks
Way too high ...... although you could get lucky. Remember that (as well as) you having to put up with them, they have to put up with you. Drop to a sensible level. There's a going rate for everything ....... why should people pay more?

HI Finny,

I can imagine that it is a worry.

Have you posted photos of your place on your daft ad? I know a friend of mine posted an ad on daft without any photos and had little response. As soon as he put up photos, his phone did not stop ringing. Also he is an owner occupier and people did not seem to have any problem with that. However I do agree, 875 is a bit steep. Even if you reduced it by 100 and see if response increses? Remember it is better to have some money coming in from the room, than having it empty even for 1 month, as it will cost you more in the long run (covering the cost of the room for the month).

BTW - Are you going into Daft every day and renewing the ad so it appears close to the top of the list again? You can do this once a day

Definitely over the top on price - I would not be willing to pay this to share an apartment with the OO.

Hi,

Thanks

As many posters have mentioned before that figure seems quite expensive so maybe a rethink is in order.
You may need to drop the rent by 100 euro just to get the room rented and money coming in, otherwise you'll find yourself in a sticky situation.
I have a more basic question though, when you took on the mortgage I would assume that you knew that you werent going to be able to repay it without renting, it looks like you didnt do enough market research?

BountyHunter

Back