The Old Chocolate Factory Kilmainham

T

thisisit

We're looking at an apartment in the Old Chocolate Factory development in Kilmainham.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this development as an investment?
It seems slightly more expensive than other new apartments of the same size in the area e.g. Herberton.

Any thoughts appreciated!

P.S.
slightly...? i mean a good bit more expensive!

Looking at the same investment, with prices falling you wonder if better value will come up when some of the investors who bought from the plans want to realise some gain and get out.

Yea its hard to figure out.

A one bed in the chocolate factory is 380,000 now plus 30,000 parking
When they were bought off plans initially they were about 310,000 for the same apartments in 2005.
A one bed in Herberton down the road is 310,000 for the same size - 60sqm

I wonder is it a totaly waste of the extra 70,000 for old chocolate factory.
I'm planning on living there for about 4 years, and prefer the chocolate factory but I dont want to be throwing away 70,000.
Any ideas where I can look at price trends etc to figure this out?

Thanks!

After the RTE news last night, some sense should prevail from developers.Trends are based upon Supply and Demand and I do think that the developers at The Chocolate Factory will have to reduce prices albeit at a push. Have you looked at Mill Court in Blackpitts. That looks like a nice development when completed and I have no connection with i. 10 minute walk to Stephens Green.

Thanks mercman.

You're right about supply and demand. I doubt the Chocolate Factory prices will go down for new units as since we viewed they are pretty much all snapped up at the new higher asking prices. They seem to be extremely popular.

I guess my main concern is that their high price relative to other similar developments in the area will not last and in a few years they will only be worth the same as other developments which are cheaper to begin with. I suppose only time will tell.

Such a tough decision as I really like the development.

I hadn't heard of Mill Court in Blackpits. I'll take a look. Thanks again!

I found the Web link as underneath. I did hear that they are doing deals there at the mo. Apparantly that area of town is due to become the up and coming place in a few years time as DCC are anticipating 25000 people will go and live in the area. There is also another development behind Mill Court as well but I do not know what it is called. I have no connection with any of them but I just think Inchicore is a little far out from town for the prices people are paying.

The link is :

I am still thinking of it as a long term investment. The development is well presented, with the Hilton hotel next door, it should be well maintained and hopefully standards kept up in the long term. It would be interesting to hear from current occupiers regarding the - sound proofing - noise from the N4 and railway - safety of area. In the long term these factors will effect the value of the property.

2424.The other new development Heuston Square just opposite Heuston Station is due to come on the market very soon. Nearer to town shoud be well priced as there are a heap of Investors that put their money in to develop these.

I doubt the Chocolate Factory prices will go down for new units as since we viewed they are pretty much all snapped up at the new higher asking prices.

A one bed in the chocolate factory is 380,000 now plus 30,000 parking. When they were bought off plans initially they were about 310,000 for the same apartments in 2005.

For anyone interested in this development, the final phase has been released at lower prices - from 299,000 for a one bed property.

budapest - what is the aspect - basically does it have a view for price or are you stuck in a corner. I suppose parking is an additional 50,000. Yes it is a nice development but not worth the money, especially in this current market.

one of the lads i work with viewed these apartments, he said they defo arent worth it, they are 2 small and when he was viewing one of the apartments he said the noise of the train he couldnt live with, very loud

2424: I too wish I could find out about sound proofing etc from current occupants before commiting to buy. Any good ways to find this out?

Mercman: I investigated prices at Heuston South Quarter. They are much more expensive than The Chocolate Fctory.

Caroline: i went to view about 10 of these apartments. The one beds are a much better size than most one beds in other developments and extremely well laid out. I did however see a couple of three beds and they were tiny. Really sub standard.

thisisit - a couple of matters in relation to your post.

I have just read a report from Goodbody Stockbrokers who are envisaging a further softening in the housing market.

Concerning the sizes of the apartments, the new guidelines issued by DCC state that apartments must be much larger than the current stock on the market at present. Therefore, further future developments will have much larger space and double aspects for the same money moving forward.

I do not know the prices at Heuston Square. However, market forces will determine everything. If a buyer doesn't offer a lower price then they won't be bought at a lower price.

If you refer to my previous posts I mentioned Mill Court which is in construction at the mome as far as I know they are taking offers.

I have no connection whatsoever with this development but I do know the location is superior than the Chocolate factory/ Heuston Square area.

As well as that over the next year to eighteen months, including are others to be built at Arbour Hill (approx 80 apartments) and the whole area around the Mill Court Scheme is due for rejuvenation as DCC have a development plan in place for the area.

Back