Rights of the unmarried father

REMFAN

I am an unmarried father in a relationship with the mom, I suppose I'm thinking about the 'what if's' here....

If an unmarried father wanted to gain equal rights to his child, how would he go about it? (besides getting hitched). Details would be great here, what forms needed,proof, cost, lawyer required,etc etc.

Also could the unmarried father gain full custody/Sole Guardianship of the child, if the mother consents?

Final question - What usually happens in cases where the unmarried mom has died or left the child and moved away? Does the unmarried dad have any claim to the child? If he's just on the birth cert.

some websites for you first
www.treoir.ie, www.solo.ie, www.rollercoaster.ie

Having a name on birth cert carries no legal weight in so far as guardianship/custody is concerned.

Where parents of the child are unmarried, only the mother automatically acquires guardianship. Father can apply for guardianship to be granted via court, it's a reasonably straightforward process if not contested and doesn't require a soltr (you'll find all the details you need on the site above).

It is a good idea for you both to make a will expressing your wishes in regards to your child(ren), in the unlooked for event of your untimely death. The remaining family will at least be aware of what you wanted to happen; though there is no guarantee that the will won't be contested.

There is an affidavit that the mother can complete appointing the father as joint guardian. This should be available on the sites mentioned above, or citizens information will be able to provide a form. The only cost then is 10 euro for a commissioner for oaths/solicitor to witness the signature. You should see a solicitor to make wills, the guardianship could then also be dealt with.

Back