Keeping Dog within Boundary of House

InfoSeeker

I have just bought a Golden Retriever Puppy and will be collecting him in 3 weeks so want to be prepared.

Our house has a sizeable garden, ie boundary on the sides is 150 metres each and front & back is 100m so total perimeter is approx 600m.

Now we more or less live in the country, ie back and sides of house stretch out into fields but there is a road approx 70 yards from the front door which is used as a back road to get to a business park:(

I was thinking of buying this [broken link removed]

It states that the 'maximium boundary area = 600m' but the Contents only state a 150m wire.

So just wondering if anyone has purchased this or a similar device and would it cover 500/600 metre perimeter?

Not sure about that particular product but there are products out there such as [broken link removed] that allows you to add extra wire to cover the area you mention - these ads are regularly in the dogs section of Buy and Sell.

Found another website who sells them and they have a "Contact Us" section so I will give them a call

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

If you really love dogs, i wouldn't touch one of those radio fences with a ten foot pole. I'm nearing the end of my new build and we got a pup last year, the new house has an extremely larger amount of ground around it than my former home. So i to done some research into ways of prohibiting his rambling. I came across a website i think it was a link off the national dog training of Ireland website, effectively those radio fences with the collar that gives the dogs a shock are pure cruelty. They done tests on various collars, where the students or doctor's can't remember held the collar to test the shock, all of the testers could only hold onto the collar for a maximum of 2-3 seconds at a medium setting, this i'm nearly sure they stated was for a medium to large size dog, those of which can't get away from the shock and have to put up with it for a minimum of 10-12 seconds.

There also was a photograph of a labrador that got his collar wet and then unfortunately got shocked by the collar, the shock burnt two holes in his neck where the metal prongs have to touch the skin.
Don't mean to put a dampner on it for you but i would not subject my fella to that not with all the love they give you when they arrive and live with you. I'm just going to pay a little bit extra and properly fence off the place for my fella, i think its better than playing a little hitler.

Just train the dog??
We have a Golden Retriever and she knows where she can & cant go. Having the dog from a pup should make it a lot easier also.

Thanks for letting me know JoeHooker, I cannot fence my house as the boundaries are large and there are other reasons also.

There are plenty of dogs in our area who come into our back garden & all are either retrievers or labs so when he moves beyond the puppy stage then he will wander.......neighbours are fine as they all have dogs.

Just want to be cautious in the first few months

Ya I agree bullbars, in terms of the road which is the real threat then I will bring him up and shout at him:) not to go beyond the entrance, ie give him a treat for staying in and a wee tip on the noise for going beyond the entrance

Thanks for letting me know JoeHooker, I cannot fence my house as the boundaries are large and there are other reasons also.

There are plenty of dogs in our area who come into our back garden & all are either retrievers or labs so when he moves beyond the puppy stage then he will wander.......neighbours are fine as they all have dogs.

Just want to be cautious in the first few months

Would you consider just fencing in a small area of the garden to contain the dog? Like JoeHooker, I really would not consider a radio fence under any circumstances.

If you really love dogs, i wouldn't touch one of those radio fences with a ten foot pole. I'm nearing the end of my new build and we got a pup last year, the new house has an extremely larger amount of ground around it than my former home. So i to done some research into ways of prohibiting his rambling. I came across a website i think it was a link off the national dog training of Ireland website, effectively those radio fences with the collar that gives the dogs a shock are pure cruelty. They done tests on various collars, where the students or doctor's can't remember held the collar to test the shock, all of the testers could only hold onto the collar for a maximum of 2-3 seconds at a medium setting, this i'm nearly sure they stated was for a medium to large size dog, those of which can't get away from the shock and have to put up with it for a minimum of 10-12 seconds.

There also was a photograph of a labrador that got his collar wet and then unfortunately got shocked by the collar, the shock burnt two holes in his neck where the metal prongs have to touch the skin.
Don't mean to put a dampner on it for you but i would not subject my fella to that not with all the love they give you when they arrive and live with you. I'm just going to pay a little bit extra and properly fence off the place for my fella, i think its better than playing a little hitler.

totally agree with joehooker, could you not buy a dog pen for him to be in during the day when no one is there, i love my 2 dogs and would never use a radio fence collar. just fence off a area from him, also if other dogs can come on to your property they could fit with him, someone could rob him too if he is not safely locked up.

By mild correction, what they mean is an electric shock. Beyond cruel in my opinion. Some studies have shown that the dog can associate the correction with something besides the boundry. Say for example it was standing next to a child and the correction occured. The dog may associate the shock with children and in turn hate children as a result. I have two dogs, one is 41/2 and the other just one and very puppyish in behaviour. We are moving shortly to a five acre site that will be impossible to enclose so we are training them not to go outside the gate/hedge etc without us...and its working fine. There is a forum on dog behavioural/training issues on www.dogpages.org and select forum. Very informative and lots of threads on this particular subject. Hope you decide against it.

QUOTE:I will bring him up and shout at him:) not to go beyond the entrance, ie give him a treat for staying in and a wee tip on the noise for going beyond the entrance:QUOTE

DogPages also offers more up to date and effective techniques, I found them very helpful when I got my last dog, who proved to be very tempermental!!! Honestly my dogs do not go outside to the road, despite the fact that our neighbour across the road has five or more dogs that wander over....you should have no probs training a golden retr. to do the same...very intelligent breed....

Last edited:
I have a radio fence and found that once the dogs experienced the tingle(not a shock) they learn to avoid the preimeter EVEN WITHOUT THE COLLARS. They are very effective, dogs are very intelligent and learn quickly. In fact I would recommend that if you could borrow a Pet Safe system for a couple weeks, you could quite easily train the puppy. Incidentally the pet safe product can be extended. It is no more cruel than tapping the puppies nose when he soils indoors.

Thanks everyone, I have already decided against it based on the responses.

He will be trained to avoid the road and enjoy the ample space we have.

No need for further responses on this please.

Hi used the radio fence with my dog for six months when he was a pup on a one acre site. Four years on my dog is wearing no collar and has never breached the boundary. I think the radio fence is good in early stages, I do not consider this cruel as my dog now has an acre of land to roam and is as happy as any dog. Cruelty is locking a dog up because he wanders the road. We all had to be disciplined as kids remember!

You mentioned in your OP that your site more or less runs into fields. Can I ask what is in those fields?
you then mentioned about other dogs coming in and out and the neighbours are fine with that but if you live in a rural area I doubt if too many of the local farmers would agree
With the best will in the world, if a dog decides to go wandering in a pack and isn't fenced in, he will go wandering. I grew up on a farm and saw at first hand what a pack of lovable "pets" can do to sheep on more then one occassion. In the end, like most farmers, it was shoot on sight as we had no choice
If you can't contain your dog, you shouldn't get it, not fair on the locals, on you, or on the dog. Most dog shelters for example, will not allow you to take a dog unless you have an enclosed area

Mpsox,

I heard a storey from a man in my locality that a next door neighbour of his had two border collies, and they were trained but got loose, and collies being collies decided to play in the big field next to them over which went down to a lake. The field had sheep in it and they got frightened and a load of them ran into the lake in fear, drowned in the process. They owner of the dogs was made put down the dogs, and had to pay for the sheep that were killed.

All I asked for was advice on the initial stages of having a new dog....also I asked for no more replies:(

Now our golden retriever puppy is killing sheep........

We are responsible people and we will do everything we can to ensure the dog has a good home & that he does not have any impact on those living around us.

We live about a mile from a very urban area but are surrounded by fields....the person who owns virtually all the land has built 5 houses for his sons & daughters, etc and there are no animals on the land.....no doubt by the time the dog reaches the age of 10 then we will live in an urban sprawl:) ........I will stop now as stated above I asked for no replies

Both my parents comes from large farms & I could tell you plenty of stories about animals but in my experience the Ireland of today has more issues with animals of the human variety these days...........

THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why should it be? Just because you have made your decision doesn't mean others are not interested in the discussion. Searches on AAM in the future re radio fences will probably bring up this thread to people which might be of use. Personally thought it was arrogant of you to ask
No need for further responses on this please
earlier - you don't have to revisit the thread.

I thought the issue was becoming a rant for people's personal feelings and this is why I stated it should end.

Of course people can keep replying but it seems to me that it is only moving further from the OP's initial query, ie my query.

It will end up being moved to the Letting off Steam section:)

I asked what people thought of a specific product for creating a boundary for a puppy.

People replied with good information of the pros & cons for this & I really appreciate the responses.

Based on the replies I feel I am more informed and will not get one.

Now the issue has moved on to dogs killing animals which is an obvious risk if someone is in the country.

I have explained that I am not and I think most people living in a rural area are aware of this risk.

I think that if someone in the future raises this issue then they have plenty of information re the pros & cons of getting a fence.

Again it is a personal opinion and apologies for my previous comment if it caused you offence.

Back