Qantas or Cathay Pacific?

dereko1969

Flying to Australia and back via Hong Kong in March/April, cost wise it's much of a muchness between the two above. Anyone who's flown on both got an opinion on which is better? Or anyone who's flown on either got good or bad things to say?

I flew Qantas London-Melbourne a couple years ago. Have to say they were very good, good service, nice meals. Certainly would fly with them again. Never been with Cathay before, but most of the big Asian carriers lead the way when compared with BA etc.

It's been a few years since I flew with them but I've always considered Cathay Pacific to be probably the best airline I've ever used.

I know this is no help but avoid BA as they are terrible. I have flown with Malaysian airlines and they were good and flying again with them in march.

yeah that's one of the reasons steering me away from Qantas is that they code share with BA so there is the possibility if i change flights for some reason that i'd end up on BA.

I'd imagine that you'll do the flights in and out of Oz with Quantas (excellent) and the longer flight to and from Uk with BA (rubbish) thats what happened us in Feb.

It's been a few years since I flew with them but I've always considered Cathay Pacific to be probably the best airline I've ever used.

I second that. Asian politeness and efficiency at its best. obviously i was in 1st class but i can honestly say that the hoards in the back were very quiet during my two flights with Cathy. They are very similar to Virgin in that they kill you with little treats, nice pillows etc.

I flew Qantas in March / April. The TV / entertainment system didn't work on the way home and we flew Sydney to Singapore. Stopped for an hour to refuel and back on the same plane to London. It was far too long a journey without any movie / entertainment system. Initially the flight attantants just said it wa sone of those things, in other words just put up with it and shut up. They did later give a voucher for duty free which was something at least but overall I won't be flying Qantas again. Have never flown with Cathay Pacific so I don't know what there like.

I always check out the seat pitch here when choosing between airlines
[broken link removed]

Believe me, 1inch might not sound like much but it makes a huge difference to comfort , which is especially important on long haul filghts

Cathay Pacific also has the advantage that, Hong Kong being it's hub, you might get some good offers on stopover deals - hotels, tours etc - that you mightn't get with Qantas. And Hong Kong is a great place for a stopover!

What is wrong with BA?
Nothing really, if you don't mind crappy service, rude hosts. I've done alot of long haul flights, and the only good BA flights tend to be the ones where half the plane is empty. Add the fact that checking-in in BA desks in T4 in heathrow is a joke doesn't get you off to a good start on a 22 hr flight to Oz. Yes Qantas & BA codeshare and to be sure you don't get a BA flight to HK go with Cathay, but alot of Qantas planes go from LHR so you'd probably be on one....I was anyway. I always find with BA's entertainment system that it's the old model where you have to watch films etc at set times...unlike most of the Asian/Middle East/Virgin carriers where you can watch everything whenever....that helps on the long haul flights.

What is wrong with BA?

Missus flew with them with a baby they would not heat bottles for her which trust me on a long haul flight a baby needs to be fed, also basonette was rubbish, staff rude and unhelpful etc. She flew the next time with one of the Asian airlines and they could not be more helpful - have to say the same when I flew as well.

My vote would be for Cathay. I've flow Quantas a few times and found them surly, and half the entertainment system didn't wrk, which elicited a nochalant shrug from the purser

I have done the Europe/OZ trip a few times and have used Qantas three times and three times they were absolute rubbish!

In defence of BA, I have also used them a few times and apart from a few minor complaints found them to be great which was a surprise to me considering the press they get.

Cathay or Singapore airlines are probably the two best airlines operating the route.

Earlier this year flew LHR to Singapore with BA, flight was fine.
Flew Singapore to Perth with Quantas and everything hunky dory.
Then eventually flew Auckland to LAX with Quantas.
It was the worse flight of my life and not just the distance aspect.
Then flew BA San Fran to LHR, that was just as bad.
I would seriously avoid Quantas the next time.

I have never flown Cathay but from friends; experiences they are excellent.

Back