Knocklyon

S

shellster

Hi there

We're looking to buy a house in Knocklyon. We fell for a house in Orlagh Grove but the school, St Colmcilles is right behind it and theres an Astro pitch with floodlights that has games until 10pm a lot of nights. Does anyone know if this is a problem for residents? I managed to get talking to a woman a few doors down and she said it was fine, just the odd "get the ball" but said that when you have the TV on, you wouldnt notice it and she said the light pollution was fine, didnt affect the bedroom/house but did light up the garden a bit which she saw as a handy security benefit.

Anyone know this estate? tips on other estates there? We looked at a much older house in Dargle wood and it seems a lot quieter. Probably going to view Templeroan house too...

thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi,
It's a lovely area - moved there nearly six years ago. Haven't got school-going aged kids, so can't give you feedback on that score. Local amenities are good in general, although it would be great if the 'proposed Luas' route was not an electioneering stunt......:(
It's a nicely developed area and pretty settled, not many new developments, very safe, nice for walks and close to Marley.
In terms of other estates, you could consider Woodfield, or my own estate, Beverly - although I would stick to the cul-de-sacs if you have young children

Thanks amgd28,

It does seem like a nice area alright, I havent discovered any 'must avoid' information on any of the estates there anyway.

I'm coming from an apt, do you happen to know if these newer estates have a management fee? I think Beverly is pretty new although maybe older than Orlagh? So Beverly is busy then if you're saying to buy in a cul-de-sac if we had kids? Is that what you meant?

I hadnt heard about the proposed Luas so just as well I hadnt been getting excited about it! I've emailed two local councillors to ask about the estate and whether or not its been handed over by the developer to the council...trying to find out as much as I can before putting any offers in! Its all so exciting, very hard to concentrate on work! :)

I think Beverly is pretty new although maybe older than Orlagh? So Beverly is busy then if you're saying to buy in a cul-de-sac if we had kids? Is that what you meant?

No Beverly is not that new - my house is over 20 years old - depends on your perspective though!
To be fair it is not that busy, but I suppose because I live in a cul-de-sac, I've just gotten used to virtually never having a car pass by the door;) It depends what you want - with older kids, there is a couple of big greens in Beverly that they all seem to play in in the summer - couple of old horse chestnut trees etc, so that might outweigh the benefit of cul-de-sac to you.

If you want to gauge how busy it is, drive into the estate and park for 20-30 minutes and see how many cars you see driving past you - probably as good an objective assessment of 'busyness' as you will get, once it is done around the same time for comparison purposes.

My next door neighbour sold very quickly a couple of months ago (3bed), but there is a four bed across the street from us, just dropped the price by 40k. Not decorated too well and needs some upgrade work, but has been empty for a number of months (even before being put on the market), so you could get a bargain there

excellent place to bring up childern, one thing though is building on some of these area's leave little scope to build on think five year down the line kids space. Idrone / knocklyon woods are about the same price houses a little older but have potential to build on at the side garage. All areas in knocklyon are fine though.

Thanks for your replies, we'll check out Beverly and do some driving about at different times of the day. Looking forward to being a Knocklyon resident!

My uncle has been living in Beverly since it was built. They are v happy there and have brought up 2 children while living there. I would say it is a lovely quiet area, they have lovely neighbours also.

Have grown up in Knocklyon and my partner grew up there also.
Great area, would have no hesitation in recommending it to someone - am hoping to move back there myself next year.

I grew up in Dargle wood and my parents still live there. I would love to be able to afford to live there myself.

Very nice area, live up in Ballycullen. Orlaigh is a nice estate with really nice Chinese (best in area imho)- Woodstown is a v nice estate as well but traffic can be worse that side of Motorway. Templeroan is nice as well. 15 bus service has vastly improved recently as well.
Daughter goes to Colmcilles it is a great school - very big but would recommend it!! Ironically I run something on that very same Astro pitch, it is used during weekdays till 10pm.

luckycharm - where is this chinese you speak of? I have been less than impressed with the one at woodstown recently - need to try somewhere new :)

Is it at the row of shops as you come off the little roundabout into orlagh?

The local (primary) school is excellent imho, unfortunately there seems to be a waiting list for the secondary school...people were queueing overnight a few years back to enrol kids of 4 in the secondary school. That policy has changed now but the school isn't big enough to cope with the population.
As regards an area to live in I think its wonderful, lovely people and a real sense of community.

wow! Good replies from all, this is great. Thanks everyone

luckycharm - where is this chinese you speak of? I have been less than impressed with the one at woodstown recently - need to try somewhere new :)

Is it at the row of shops as you come off the little roundabout into orlagh?

Luckystar is about 100ms in on the left in Orlaigh beside the shops. I do not go near the one in Woodstown the meat is stringy and awful, tops tops in oldbawn shopping centre is not bad and went to the chinese/thai down in Templeogue recently which I thought was good.

excellent - Id stopped using China House in firhouse a good while ago - cant remember why, think i might have gotten a couple of dodgy meals there, it can be hard to get a good chinese!!!

excellent - Id stopped using China House in firhouse a good while ago - cant remember why, think i might have gotten a couple of dodgy meals there, it can be hard to get a good chinese!!!

Mind you I always get the same in each one :D Anyway when you go tell us what you think.

Back