Is it safe to log into B.O.I online today?

seriams

I Just tried to log into Bank of Ireland banking 365, however it's only asking for I.D and Date of birth/contact number. It's not looking for private password.
Does anyone know if this is safe?

I've just be in my BOI online accounts - you will be asked for three PIN digits on page two, and they are changing log on procedures which you will be advised about once are in to your account.

It's a changed interface, it's OK to use (even if it isn't as user friendly as it was).

(Post crossed)

It looks for it on the next screen. They closed a long standing loop hole in their security where you could press F5 (refresh the screen) untill you were prompted any combination of PIN numbers you happened to know.

Towger

They've had it on the website for the last month that it was changing.

I like the new interface and you can send money abroad, which is a big plus for them.

Yes, you can now send money abroad. Be aware that to do this you have to set up the beneficiary first & get an activation code posted to you. So if you need to send money abroad be sure to get it set up in good time.
There's a Currency Calculator too.
You can also Set-up, amend & cancel Standing Orders & cancel D/D's.
It took a while but it's here at last !

When you exchange money overseas say to the States, does it show the transaction cost and exchange rate prior to the send? IS there a flat fee to transfer outside of the EU? IF so, how much? How competitive are the exchange rates? I would be very curious, as I am thinking of opening one of their accounts to fund overseas transactions.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the charge structure is. I'm assuming it's cheaper than going into a branch to do these transfers as you do most of the work yourself.

It looks for it on the next screen. They closed a long standing loop hole in their security where you could press F5 (refresh the screen) untill you were prompted any combination of PIN numbers you happened to know.

Towger

I got a very brassed off lady in the BOI when I told her I could only remember 3 digits of my PIN so I just refreshed the screen til the right combination was offered..mind you, that was over a year ago.

I know one of the guys that designed it...originally I mean. Those drop downs are driving me nuts!

I'd love to know who came up with the mad-looking big-eared pixie girl for the ads. What the heck is that about? :confused:

[broken link removed]

Are we supposed to think our transactions are being magically handled by fairies in the middle of the night or something?

BOI tv ads are terrible - I like the halifax one with the fighting -"what you going to do tell your mammy"!

I'd love to know who came up with the mad-looking big-eared pixie girl for the ads. What the heck is that about? :confused:

[broken link removed]

Are we supposed to think our transactions are being magically handled by fairies in the middle of the night or something?

And why on earth does she say in the ad "you never know - I might go overdraft"? :confused:

I think the ads are awful. Did you see the Pension ones ? They're even worse!
Maybe I'm showing my age as some of the younger folk think they're very "Lord of the Rings" style..

I think those adverts are off-putting quite frankly - I can't fathom how anyone might be encouraged to bank with BOI by them.

Anyway has anyone else noticed that the new site seems to wipe details occassionally or not accept selections from the drop-downs? I have noticed that occassionally as I am filling in details, they are being deleted/my input is not being accepted. It seems fairly random but I think the passcode drop downs are the worst affected.

The passcode drop down is driving me nuts! I have to keep stopping to think of the numbers whereas before you could rattle it off in your head and thump it in.

The pixie ear adverts are cute but not for a bank...mind you, one of the alternatives is a "mobster"!!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried an international transfer yet? It only charged me €1 for a transfer to the states, and at a decent rate ($1.402). The only thing is, I transferred it on the 24th and it still hasn't arrived. Has anyone else had a sucessfull transfer?

Failsafe,

Does it show you the rate prior to the transaction taking place? Do you know what the xe-rate was that day -- just curious what the exchange rates are like. Do the rates change depending if you exchange 1,000 vs 20,000 EUR?

Thanks.

dfg75,

It does indeed. Once you get a benificiary added, go to make a transaction, and it will show you a confirmation screen, showing the amount it will deduct from your account (if you set the transfer in a foreign currency) and the transaction fee.

For a feel of the rates, feel free to look up the interbank rate on the 24th ($1.42 afaik) and compare to what I got $1.40. So I typed in (e.g.) $150 and it deducted roughly €107 from my account.

I was under the impression that a foreign transfer would cost me 5euro.
Thought I saw it on their website, obviously I'm wrong.
So how does it work? is it a percentage or a flat fee?

Thanks

Back