How to light a BBQ?

LBT

Hi,

I bought a kettle bbq in argos

had a bbq a few weeks ago and its took ages to start it I understood that once you light it you should cover it and then make sure no air goes in but that didn't work....

anyone know what is the best way to light it and keep it lighting!

Re: How to light a BBQ!!

make sure no air goes in but that didn't work
not surprised! Any fire needs oxegen to light.

The weber is no different to light than any other BBQ; use the 'instant' bags for a bit and you can add ordinary charcoal then once it's lit.

And bless your enthusiasm - I haven't had the heart to light the barbie this summer.:)

Re: How to light a BBQ!!

Thanks for your help
the sun is out and the garden furniture WILL be used this year!

I'm a near Barbie novice too but after 3 of them I'm flying!

A 'fanning' of the flames will help no end - don't forget to wait until the charcoal is completely white before you cook!

When I lived in Oz I had the good job of making the salads while the men started the Barbie and cooked!
so I am hoping after today I will be a pro!

I usually pour a capful of white spirit on the fuel BEFORE lighting, but never use petrol! I always keep a small bit of timber offcuts to hand to get the fire going at first.

We got a barbie a while ago, and hadnt a clue but after 3 of them like another poster are flying!!

There is some sort of a white gel looking tube you can get to. I got it in b&q after you put on the charcoal sprinkle this stuff over it and light it and then leave it for three quarters/to a hour till it all white. Very easy for people with no idea like us!!

Barbie is so going to be out this weekend.

Can get coals in prepack bags in Woodies, work grand, a cheap barbie from B& Q , a match & ur off.

Gas.......naaahhh !

Best way to light it? A couple of litres of petrol tossed over it and a lighted match chucked onto it from a distance. Bearing in mind that it's an Irish BBQ you'll want to hold an umbrella over your sou'westers too.

Out here, where the temperature hit 36 degrees in the shade this afternoon, we use the shavings off the lawn and a magnifying glass held over them for 0.2 - 0.4 milliseconds. Perfect Barbie every time!

The timber charcoal it's easier to light than the coal type, however I always light them the same way regardless of what I use.

I tightly roll a few sheets of paper, then stack the charcoal in a cone shape, sprinkle the coal with starter fuel and light the paper. Let the coals burn until they are grey then spread them out to have an even spread of coal under your cooking tray. If the coals aren't catching fire try fanning with a piece of cardboard or a few sheets of folded paper, be careful if your adding more lighter fuel, sometimes I just use some olive oil instead.

Make sure the paper has burnt itself out and the coals are grey otherwise you may have smoke during the cooking.

Now all we need is the weather.

NO! Don't use any kind of lighter fluid on a charcoal fire! If you do then you are worse off then just using gas. Gas is cleaner and would leave less aftertaste.

The only solution is a chimney fire starter. Very simple to use and works perfect EVERY time. Just put one or two sheets of non coloured newspaper and light - wait 20 minutes and presto. pour the now white coals onto your barbie and start cookin.

Found mine in B and Q last year.

When I lived in Oz I had the good job of making the salads while the men started the Barbie and cooked!
so I am hoping after today I will be a pro!

if livin in oz didn't teach you then u will never learn!
just kiddin mate!
barbie lightin is a ritual as it is an art and the more fire starters you use and a bit of meths with beer to clean the hot plate and you'll be away laughin

if livin in oz didn't teach you then u will never learn!
just kiddin mate!
barbie lightin is a ritual as it is an art and the more fire starters you use and a bit of meths with beer to clean the hot plate and you'll be away laughin
I wasn't left start the barbie that was the problem!!!

had a couple of BBQ's over the weekend and thankfully everything went ok!

Back