Can i Pay sterling in shop if price is quoted as sterling and in euro?

sully

The wife has seen lights she likes in a shop and they are 100 pounds sterling but are 175 Euros Obviously i would prefer to Pay the sterling price if possible?

Is this possible?

Cheers,
Sully

Seriously doubt it - they'll just say its for a different market. Oasis/H+M etc are typical example of stores with multi country pricing labels.

Some big stores in Dublin used to accept streling but it was at the exchange rate and your change was in euros. If the shop did accept sterling then they would probably charge you at the exchange rate and not the 100sterling price.

Also, VAT rates are different, so wouldn't seem fair to force them to accept the UK price.

Besides, price labels are only an "invitation to treat" -- they don't even have to accept the Irish price! Though if they consistently mispriced items, they would probably be in violation of some consumer regulation.

PS am I the only poor reader who was wondering what _t_ights could possibly cost £100? :)

The wife has seen lights she likes in a shop and they are 100 pounds sterling but are 175 Euros Obviously i would prefer to Pay the sterling price if possible?

Is this possible?

Cheers,
Sully

Doubt it. Sterling is not legal tender here.

Back