Lelandi trees 40ft tall and causing moss problems and neighbours wont let us cut them

minion

My mother moved into a house about 5 years ago. The neighbour had lelandi trees that were at least 45ft tall on their side of the fence to the south of our garden.
After much pain they let us pay to get them cut twice (but only by 5 ft) in the first two years.
After that they would not cooperate and wouldnt let us trim them even if we paid again. These trees are way taller than a 2 storey house as it is.

Now my mothers garden gets hardly any sun at all and its just destroyed with moss.
Its really upsetting her at this stage and i think its completly unreasonably to have 40ft and growing trees completely shading your garden.
I know there is something that can be done about this in the uk, but can anything be done in ireland about this. We would even pay to have themcut down to 20ft, but the neighbour doesnt want them touched at all.

Help.

Arent you supposed to be able to object to a new build on there being an interference with your light - could this apply to the trees - you're garden / living space being shaded from light by their tree's overgrowth?

Mossy gardens are a real pain.

Those trees should be banned.

B

what ever you do - don't leave a conatiner of diesel near them -for if it accidently fell over it would kill them - God forbid.;)

Contact the local council office in the morning.

There should be some height restrictions on plants/trees.
There is on buildings - should work similar with the above.

let us know how you get on.

K

the ops neighbours with the trees don't seem too worried about their neighbours now do they.

there are plenty of nice trees that give plenty of privacy but some people with these Lelandi don't take care of them, they grow out of control and have to pay to get them cut & taken away - which they are too tight to do.

OP - contact your local council and see what they say - if they do nothing - talk to your solicitor.
k

Re: Lelandi trees 40ft tall and causing moss problems and neighbours wont let us cut

[broken link removed]

this is the closest i can see to finding hard specification of what 'loss of light' is calculated as...

“Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight: A Guide de Good Practice” (BRE 1991) . The commonly used 45 degree rule is employed. This rule says that a significant amount of daylight will be lost to the window of an adjoining property if the centre of the window (measured at 2 metres above ground level) affected lies within the 45 degree angle for both plan and elevation."

What is the orientation of your windows???? southerly???

if this is a huge issue for you, you should perhaps consider engaging a professional to measure these standards....???

no but it could be a case to bring to the enforcement section of the council.... and it does apply to trees as the tree is a boundary....

But the trees were there before the OPs mother moved in. I dont see how she can move in and then expect her neightbour to cut his trees in half!

Hi Sydthebeat, off the original point I know but where exactly did you find that info about light, sounds like something that could help me in a planning objection I have submitted for development beside me.

it belongs to "“Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight: A Guide de Good Practice” (BRE 209 1991) ......

i do not have a copy of this (they cost 70 - 100 yo yos each....
but the description i got was from a bord pleanalas officers report:
[broken link removed]

hope this helps.....

KTimber...LOL

I would worry what the roots are doing myself.

AFAIK they have very shallow/non invasive roots compared to most trees - don't know how close trees are to the house though.

What are relations like with the neighbours in question - are you on speaking terms even? If so, maybe you could find out exactly why they don't want the trees cut (even if you are footing the bill)

If Leylandii are pruned/trimmed by an amateur they can go brown and die - obviously the OP won't be worried about this - but this could be the neighbours fear?

my neighbours have a U shaped fortress of these trees in their garden - they like their privacy.
but I have to spend two days a year pruning and disposing of their tree cuttings.

Legally - I can give them the cuttings for them to get rid of (info from tree surgeon) but ... neighbours etc !!!

K

Unfortunately I don't think there is a lot that can be done in this case. As was pointed out earlier the posters mother moved into the house when the tress were already there and established, so it's not as if she can claim the neighbours planted their trees to annoy her or anything like that.

If the trees are entirely in the neighbours property then there's really very little that can be done. I think it is possible to make a case that they pose a danger if they were to fall on one of the houses, but I presume the trees have to be at least a little unhealthy for that to be considered.

z

To the OP; You can cut any branches that overhang your property, even if this kills the trees.

Leylandii trees have very shallow roots that spread out close to the surface and will fall easly during strong winds, if you do have property nearby then you would have a case, if the council can order farmers to remove trees for safety reasons i don't see why they cant do the same in an estate.
If the trees are close to you boundary, get a rotavator and rotavate your side of the boundary, if there roots are there they will be destroyed and you are well entitled to do this as they are well entitled not to do anything on there side..at the end of the day i presume relations aren't that good anyway and if they have a problem, you gave them a chance before you rotavated to cut them. If there are not bothered about what you think, why should you/mother bother.

Back