Vancouver v Nova Scotia

onway

Intending to go to Canada for 2 weeks in August and trying to choose between Nova Scotia and Vancouver.Although Nova Scotia looks lovely I am afraid that 2 weeks driving around looking at nice scenery might get a bit boring and maybe a city like Vancouver would have more to offer - perhaps a week in the city and then a week driving around ??Anyone got advice on that??

We're going to Seattle for three weeks and nearly everyone I've mentioned it to — and the friends in Seattle! — have mentioned a visit to as a 'must'.

Haven't been to either myself, but Vancouver has come highly recommended by a few friends who have been there - lively, compact, clean and interesting seemed to be the general view.

Been to both, Nova Scotia would win out. In the region you have the very happening Halifax (great bars, clubs, music), Cape Breton - stunning scenery, very lively music scene and real soul. Then you can spin to New Brunswick - the most Irish city in North America - St. John - shopping and restaurants. Also in New Brunswick you've a wealth of sights and sounds, the Miramichi which was a settlement place for a lot of Irish and the region has a lot to offer during the day and night.

And then you have to spin to a place I called home for more than 2 years, Prince Edward Island. From nightlife to eating out (lobsters are excellent there - though I only had one) to golf, sea cruises, sights (it's the home of Anne of Green Gables), music and a really good local population.

So basically 2 weeks spinning around the 3 Maritime Provinces would offer a lot more than going out west, but then again, I admit to a bias.

If you're looking for scenery similar to Ireland, rolling green hills etc, then go to Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton is meant to be very nice.
If you want a more varied setting - mountains, lakes, sea, islands & stunning scenery go out west.

For proper mountains go to Alberta, but there's enough on the Quebec-NB border.

Correct re. Alberta mountains, but the Vancouver North Shore mountain range & the mountains around Whistler are pretty impressive.
Quebec would also be a nice place to see and there's lots of festivals on in summer, so you could fly into halifax and out of montreal. There's an overnight train from halifax to montreal which you could hop on, but i think it takes 20 hours & you'd need to book in advance.
To get there you'd have to go through new brunswick, which (apologies to almo) is very dull. Saint John & Fredricton are quite pretty but not worth going out of your way to see. I cycled through it and the two best things about it were that it was flat and there was almost no traffic.

Has anyone gone from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland???Thought that might be a good way to spend a few days???

You can catch a ferry from Cape Breton, it's very very interesting on "The Rock". You'll enjoy the atmosphere in St. John's, and in George St. in particular, you'd almost think you were in Wexford or Waterford if you closed your eyes (which might be best!).

Agreed luke that NB is flat, but up around Moncton, the MIramichi, there's a good nightlife and sights. Fredricton I was only there once for a tournament and the nightlife was good.

Never been to NS but Vancouer is a great town, good shopping, very relaxed attitude and some great sites. I don't think you'd spend 2 weeks in the place however so you will need to travel out a bit. Places like Whistler are well worth a visit as are some of the other mountain resorts around the city. Also well worth going to is Victoria, on Vancouver island
Danger with Canada is you can get sceniered out, "oh look, another spectacular mountain". Vancouver gives you that break from it all and you see the cosmopolitan side of Canade
Long flight howeverr

For proper mountains go to Alberta, but there's enough on the Quebec-NB border.

I presume you are referring to Banff and Jasper by this?
There are loads of mountains, and all higher than what we call mountains, within BC and they are some damm nice areas as well, with less tourists.

To OP, only advantage I would see of going to west coast rather than east would be the distance, but you still may have to go through Toronto either way from Ireland, correct me if I am wrong.

Have to say Vancouver and the BC coast are fantastic, you can wander further inland to get more diverse scenery if you want.
A trip to Vancouver island is a good way to spend a week, then head up towards Whistler and Pemberton to take in mountains, golf etc.

Either way consider this that distances in Canada are large, it is a mighty big place.

Would it be necessary to hire a car for Vancouver island??I know that the public transport in Vancouver itself seems to be good so was hoping not to have a car while in the city.

Would it be necessary to hire a car for Vancouver island??I know that the public transport in Vancouver itself seems to be good so was hoping not to have a car while in the city.

You could take ferry over to Victoria and then go around city.
But really for any travelling in Canada or USA you a need car.
Public transport is fine in big cities but outside that it is not really good.
For instance people in BC/Alberta would not use trains to get around.
Trains are for freight or the rich tourists that want to do the route through the Rocky Mountains.
The natives fly because of distances or else drive.

Have to say if you are travelling that distance then you need to see what the country has to offer outside the cities. The countryside is what is special not the cities. You have beautiful lakes, mountains and seashore.

I spent just over 2 weeks in Canada in May on my honeymoon.
Flew to Seattle first and stayed there for 3 days and it was nice but nothing special.
Then drove from Seattle to Vancouver (driving is very easy, I did get sat nav), great mall on the way.
Vancouver is beautiful IMHO, I have been to a lot of cities and it ranks up there as being one of the best...far nicer than Seattle.
We spent 4 days in Vancouver, got ferry to Victoria and spent 2 days there, then went to Whistler (3 days and it is stunning), then Kelowna (3 days), then Banff (3 days), Nelson (2 days), Winthrop (1 night) and then back to Seattle.

It was fantastic...if you want details on where we stayed then pm me

Has anyone gone from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland???Thought that might be a good way to spend a few days???

I've done this, and Newfoundland is a great spot to visit for a few days. Lots of scenery (west coast if you're going mainly for scenery) and St. John's is a good spot, lots of history and culture there (in North American terms anyway!). It'll take a solid day driving to get from one side to the other.

Marine Atlantic runs the ferry, Port Aux Basques for the west, Argentia for the east. Argentia seems the middle of nowhere, but is max 1 1/2 hours from St. John's. Stop at Mary Brown's in Whitbourne for chicken and ice cream (where you turn onto the TSC).

I haven't been to Vancouver, but I do love the east coast of Canada. I disagree that St. John (NB) is the most Irish city, I'd think St. John's (NL) is.

Back