Maynooth

wirelessdude

Guys, Just looking at houses in maynooth at the moment. In our price bracket we are looking at beaufield, meadowbrook, brookfield, kingbry and at the higher end Silken Vale. Just wondering does anyone have any thoughts on these area's? We are first FTB's and are wondering it is better to pay the extra money for somewhere like Silken Vale?

Some of the estates you mentioned would be very student oriented. Silken Vale is very convenient for the train, if you are going to be commuting. I would opt for Silken Vale if you can afford it. There are many other threads on Maynooth that may be worth browsing.

i'm very much in favour of going for silken vale but herself is all for going for the cheaper option...especially in beaufield/meadowbrook at least 50% of the houses from what i see are rentals......clapped out cars and overgrown gardens etc....the only drawback for silken vale is the
house i am interested in backs right onto the railway.....now it would only be the sligo and longoford trains that actually pass it

Have lived in kingsbry for years - good quality houses, nice estate although some are rented out to students. Meadowbrook and beaufield would have a lot rented out to students, i've lived in Meadowbrook and the quality of the house isn't as great. My sis lives in Castlebridge, which has the railway line right behind and the noise isn't that bad at all. There are two newer estates Griffin Rath and Newtown Hall (you'll find details on myhome.ie). Hope this helps and happy hunting!!

Now that stamp duty has been abolished for FTBs I would tend to go for one of the more established estates over the new builds.

Griffin Rath is a good walk (well over 30 minutes I'd say) from the train station.

the only drawback for silken vale is the
house i am interested in backs right onto the railway.....now it would only be the sligo and longoford trains that actually pass it

I've got the Dublin-Belfast railway line at the end of my back garden. It took a couple of days to get used to the regular noise of passing traffic and I have the comfort of knowing that my back garden will never be overlooked by future building development!

If you can afford it, Silken Vale all the way. You should look at how these houses would hold up in a declining market. Silken Vale is a more recent build, more aesthetically pleasing, not largely a rental estate. It also has less traffic going through it than Beaufled/Meadowbrook.

It has a higher value for a reason and is more likely to maintain that value than the other 3 estates mentioned or Straffan Wood or the likes.

Back