Railway Sleeper Retaining Wall

lastbuilders

Hi,

I have a large bank (circa 10 feet) behind my new build and am splitting it over two levels. I am building a retaining wall in front of the first level of about 4 feet and am considering having a retaining wall made with railway sleepers for the second level.

Can anyone give me pointers as to how to do this or any companies that do it and the cost. The wall will be about 4 feet high by about 50 feet long. I am based in the north east.

Lastbuilders

There was a report in yesterday's paper ( The Sunday Times?) that the use of creosoted Railway Sleepers in gardens has been banned due to the carcinogenic effect of creosote.

Brendan

You could use new sleepers that have not been creosoted. I saw them at Diamond Sawmills in Coleraine when I was there last month.

There was a report in yesterday's paper ( The Sunday Times?) that the use of creosoted Railway Sleepers in gardens has been banned due to the carcinogenic effect of creosote.

Brendan

They've actually been banned for use by private individuals for a few years now I think, only to be used for commercial or farming applications, a bit odd to say the least. Customs are now starting to seize them at the docks now as they don't believe they're all for commercial use.

The untreated ones will rot away after not too long, not very safe for a retaining wall I'd imagine!

The creosote in them oozes out in hot weather, very unpleasant and as Brendan says, carcinogenic. Not the type of thing to have in a family garden anyway.

As the sleeper option seems to be a bit dangerous can anyone comment on building a concrete slab retaining wall in terms of cost or any companies that can do it in the north east?

Lastbuilders

They're are other options for retaining walls (of limited height) other than concrete, using other types of treated timbers or gabions filled with stone, try google and see what it throws up...

It's possible to get pressure-treated sleepers that look far better than the creosote version.

Hi Brendan

Brendan said:

There was an excellent report in Askaboutmoney on the same topic 3 years ago ;)

Marion

There are a few options for med ht retaining walls up to 1m - rock-filled gabions as mentioned

generally prof advice is recommended for walls over 1m or staggered as you suggest to give o/all 3m retained

combi wall of mass conc and facing brick
brick/block mass wall
reinf conc wall
crib wall using concrete lintols or treated timber and backfill

important issues are bearing pressure on foundation, the condition of the excavated face and providing drainage behind the wall

as I say get prof advice

M

Back