sleepers

thombom

Does anyone know where would be the best place to buy railway sleepers and how much do they usually cost.

Without searching again I can't be 100% sure, but there are issues regarding the materials/chemicals used by railway companies to preserve wooden sleepers. I think they, used sleepers, are classed as hazardous waste now. There are companies who import 'new' unused sleepers. Google?

My brother had alot of problems with sleepers when the sun was out,they started to seep tar and other stuff too. not to good when you have 2 small ones about. i agree with above pay a bit extra and get new clean ones.

Many paving or patio centres would be able to get you tannalised sleepers (imported from Poland, mostly) for €22-€25 sleepers. I bought some last year and after the very hot weater in April only one became sticky and had to be changed, the rest were very dry and clean.

Alternatively, as suggested, you could buy new pressure treated sleeper sized timber from many timber yards for around €25 each.

Thanks for the reponses so I think i'll good for the treated one then cause me less hassel.

If you can get the old railway sleepers just sand them down, the wood undernearth the tar is class and comes up really well.

I have railway sleepers in my garden and they are extremely dry now but there are a couple of tar stains on them. I am assuming the cresote is gone from them but I am worried. Is there any way of telling for sure. Also, what is the best way to make them look really well as they are quite dry and faded now. Finally, would it ever be safe to grow herbs in a sleeper bed (again I'm thinking cresote).

Bought a few a couple of weeks ago from the Glen of the Downs garden centre. They were new and not covered in cresote - they cost €30 each. There was also the option of buying ones treated in creasote. I believe if you go direct to timber merchants you can get them for a lower price (€20). A friend of mine mentioned a place down in Aughrim. Hope this is of some help.

Link to EPA's decision to classify railway sleepers as waste:
[broken link removed]

Dangermouse said: would it ever be safe to grow herbs in a sleeper bed

The HSA website states the following on the marketing and use of creosote

Wood treated with creosote may not be used inside buildings, in toys, in playgrounds, in parks/gardens/leisure facilities where risk of skin contact is high, in the manufacture of garden furniture (e.g. picnic tables), in containers for growing purposes, in any packaging that could contaminate raw materials/intermediates/finished products intended for human or animal consumption.

I have railway sleepers in my garden and they are extremely dry now but there are a couple of tar stains on them. I am assuming the cresote is gone from them but I am worried. Is there any way of telling for sure. Also, what is the best way to make them look really well as they are quite dry and faded now. Finally, would it ever be safe to grow herbs in a sleeper bed (again I'm thinking cresote).

Looking dry and faded is a good thing. It probably means they are Dutch Oak which generally do not have a "wet" surface even in hot conditions. British/Irish Pine treated sleepers tend to leak a lot of cresote and tar in hot weather and should not really be used. You can normally get a strong smell of cresote off the pine ones especially if you cut them

As far as I am concerned the oak sleepers are fine for lawn retainers and such once you dont go around licking them:p . The are heavy though so doing you back in is probably your biggest danger.

I wouldn't use them near vegetable patches or herb gardens to be on the safe side.

Edit, just read your link there Crugers. Interesting, in my experience the sleepers from the Netherlands are the cleanest, you'd want to see the state of some of them coming in from Poland, drippng with tar. Obviously the EPA is not enforcing their directive as sleepers are on sale in garden centres all over the country and I can gurantee you that none of them have a waste transportation license. You can also be sure that these garden centres are not advising customes in the safe use and handling of the sleepers.

Back