Apple MacBook

Graham_07

May daughter is looking at the new Apple MacBook black, 13" 120GB. She believes that the Apple platform is more suitable to her studies ( journalism ). Presently using a HP notebook. I'm just concerned a bit about possible conflicts between some of her saved data and getting that up on the Mac. Mostly using MS Word, Powerpoint. I believe you can get Office for Mac. Anyone got experience here ? Does it sound right way to go.

you can get microsft office on the mac and there will be no conflict. The macbooks are brilliant, i'd highly recommend them.

THanks for that everyone, all pretty positive. Rang Mac Shop & she can get an educational discount too saves another €92.

I have the white 80GB MacBook and I love it. TBH the black one is overpriced compared to the middle white one for what you get - you're essentially paying €200 extra to have a black one instead of white.

I use OpenOffice's suite for Apple, NeoOffice and find it excellent.http://www.neooffice.org

I have the white 80GB MacBook and I love it. TBH the black one is overpriced compared to the middle white one for what you get - you're essentially paying €200 extra to have a black one instead of white.

I use OpenOffice's suite for Apple, NeoOffice and find it excellent.

MAybe I'm wrong but doesn't the black one have more RAM and double the hard disk at 160gb than the other?

Apple are due to update the hardware on the macbooks and mac minis soon it seems. So it might be an idea to wait for that to happen first as the current stock might be sold off at clearance prices (which has already been happening to mac minis) and you'll get a bit more value for your money with luck.

I had seen May mentioned as the month they will update. This rumour below points to the that also.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/14/five-new-macbook-configurations-for-tues-may-15th/

You can always install more ram yourself and far more cheaply than the price of the ram apple sells you.

MAybe I'm wrong but doesn't the black one have more RAM and double the hard disk at 160gb than the other?

Not double the RAM - both the black one and the middle white one (€1,300) have 1GB of RAM - the entry level white one (€1,100) has 521MB of RAM. Middle white one has 80GB harddisk. Not sure an extra 40GB is worth another €200 for the black one.

IMO it doesn't makes much difference which you use. The Apple MacBooks are nice but I still think you get better bang for your buck with a PC laptop. Not as stylish though. But just pick the one she wants, no point doing anything else. You can usually get a student discount or a refurbished model from the Apple Store if you don't want to pay full retail.

Ordered that MacBook on Tuesday from Apple around 5pm. Arrived via UPS today Friday morning. if the computer runs as well as their sales/delivery service there should be no problems.

I think they ship the MacBooks from a staging facility in England rather than all the way from China like they do for iMacs.

it depends what you buy.if you buy one specially ordered it takes a few days extra from the far east..
any normal one with no extras. are indeed held in England

enjoy the mac.just got a new one myself

Will a Mac Book read an external hard drive that has been populated by an XP machine. I am thinking of buying one and I have most of my files backed up to an external HD.

Back