Weedkiller

anois

Is there any one weedkiller that will kill both grass and weeds together in the one spray?

Anois,
Roundup will do this. Easy to buy it in all garden centres in ready to use format. It's slow acting, taking 10-14 days to give an effective kill. Plants will start to go yellow after a week or so. It's good for deep rooted weeds like docks as the poison travels down into the roots.
Gives best kill when applied in bright sunlight. Pick a nice sunny day. V safe weedkiller to use.

Gramoxone is another that works very well, giving a very quick "kill" (1 day) However it's difficult to buy because it's so dangerous. Best avoided, unless you know a farmer who has some and who might spray for you. Deactivated when it touches soil, contact action only. Best avoided. nasty stuff

Hope this helps,

Sorry to jump in on this, but how long do i have to wait after applying Roundup before i can lay a new rollout lawn, my plan is to spray roundup, wait 2 weeks, rotavate and lay the new sod. Is two weeks too early to lay the new lawn after spraying roundup?
Thanks
Dave

You can rotovate as soon as three to five days after spraying. This is despite the grass still looking green. In fact it is doomed to death at that point. To allow for poorer that average translocation of the active ingredient to the roots, you might be better waiting 7 to 10 days before rotovation and laying the new sod. The spray itself is inactivated upon contact with the soil and has no residual activity.

Dave,
No problems, 2 weeks is ideal. It's slow acting and you need to give it long enough for all the weed roots to be completely killed. The fact you are rotavating means that any fibrous rooted weeds like docks need to be completely killed as they rotavating chops them up and if not properly killed, will grow up again much worse than before. If you have any nettles, Roundup doesn't control them too well.
Spray in bright sunshine, this gives the best kill.

Actually, a product like Simazine sprayed onto the rotavated ground might work well in your case, it would prevent germination for maybe 6-12 months. so new weeds or grasses wouldnt "contaminate" your new sod-lawn. Just an idea, Probably Roundup and rotavating is enough.

Hope this helps.

Round Up is terribly expensive, apparentely you can get a weedkiller that's basically the same as round up from the likes of a farmers co-op but don't know the name of it - anyone help ?

Havealaugh,
you're right, it's expensive, always was. It came off patent a few years ago so the active ingredient, glyphosate is being manufactured and sold under different names.
The main one that farmers use is called Gallup,made by a company called Barclays. works fine.

will have to do a search but i remember reading somewhere about making your own eco-friendly weedkiller, and it included potatoes that had gone green (sounds paddy-ish, but i'm eager to try it)

otherwise i've always used roundup and it's always been v effective, a bottle lasts a long time too, so price is not unreasonable.

on another note, I saw a report recently on GM crops and how greenpeace can identify gm or not. apparently they fly over suspect crops and spray some roundup from plane. roundup would kill everything else but not GM! This led to very cross farmers who hadn't GM crops and ended up losing 1/2 their crop to greenpeace activists, and some culprits as expected. an interesting commentary made was that certain GM crops (eg oilseed rape) would spread their seed in the wind and the weeds they created couldn't be eradicated. they showed a house near a GM farm with oilseed rape flowers springing up everywhere aoudn the outside fo the house and garden, no matter how often they sprayed with roundup and others they couldn't get rid!

on another note, I saw a report recently on GM crops and how greenpeace can identify gm or not. apparently they fly over suspect crops and spray some roundup from plane. roundup would kill everything else but not GM! This led to very cross farmers who hadn't GM crops and ended up losing 1/2 their crop to greenpeace activists, and some culprits as expected. an interesting commentary made was that certain GM crops (eg oilseed rape) would spread their seed in the wind and the weeds they created couldn't be eradicated. they showed a house near a GM farm with oilseed rape flowers springing up everywhere aoudn the outside fo the house and garden, no matter how often they sprayed with roundup and others they couldn't get rid !

Funny old world, Monsanto Make Round up - they are also one of the biggest GM crop producers in the world !;)

Last edited by a moderator:
you're right, it's expensive, always was. It came off patent a few years ago so the active ingredient, glyphosate is being manufactured and sold under different names.
The main one that farmers use is called Gallup,made by a company called Barclays. works fine.

Thanks for that, it's the one I was thinking of

Back