Setting up a website

pgrim

Hi all
Does anyone know the process of setting up a website.
I found a company called blacknight Solutions that would register the Domain eg ....... .ie for 35 euros a year and they will offer their basic hosting for 150 a year. Is this value for money???
I also need to design the website, does anyone know how much this could cost and any reccomendation to who could do this. I know the cost depends on the content but ballpark figures would be a start.
Thanks all

Blacknight are one of the cheaper Domain name resgiters, I suspect 35 is on the cheap end - they've had offers in the past for cheaper.

Hosting sounds like a starter package. Not sure but for a basic site that should be fine.

Cost of web-site? How long is a piece of string! But like everything else you, generally, pay for what you get. Invest wisely in design. It'll pay you pack ten fold...

BM

heya, its hard to get a ballpark figure without having some idea what kind of thing you are looking for. Its like saying to a builder 'how much is it to build a house!'. What do you want the website to do? Is it just four or five pages about your business, or is it a larger site where you have a lot of products to sell. Will you be giving him images or does the designer need to source them for you? Is it something that needs to be updated a lot?

The first thing when going top any web designer is to know what the goals of your site are..Why are you building the site. Is it for sales or marketing? Is it a tool for communication or an online brochure? Do you want to sell products through the site, or just educate consumers about them? Do you want to increase membership in your organization, or offer Web-based benefits to current members? Do you want visitors to email you? Call you? Subscribe to a newsletter? Knowing your goals will help focus your ideas for the site. Or is it just a personal site for friends and family?

Thanks for the replies
I do have alot to think about still but i know roughly what i want, i will put it down on paper. Thanks beefy2003 I will check out letshost.
Once i have paid for the domain can i leave things at that until i get the website designed or will i have to pay for hosting aswell even though the site wont be up and running. Can anyone recommend some web designers.
Thanks

Yes you can register just the domain and once the website is ready just order the hosting package.

hi, i use hostingireland for all the websites i design, they charge 20 eyro a year for a .com domain and all my dealings with them they have been very helpful

once you have the domain you have to pay for it even if you are not using it.

as for designers there are loads out there.
I'm one. If you pm me your requirements I can give you a quote.

Thanks ill PM you guys when im sure of exactly what i need.
For everyones information Letshost.ie have Domains for 28.99
and hosting for 60 per year or 95 for 2 years
pretty good deal i think.
can anyone find a better deal??

You'll find hosting in Ireland from around 30 euro per year

Several of the Irish companies are listed here:

(and yes, I do run one of them)

Depends on what you are planning to do, but for a community group I am involved with I found this site to be good value for money and very easy to use; particularly for those volunteers whose knowledge of computing is limited to sending emails or typing letters - they were able to update the site, add new pages, text & images etc. Fancy stuff can also be added when you know what you are doing!

www.homestead.com

NewOdyssey (www.NewOdyssey.biz) specialize in the development of e-commerce shops but will also develop a standard brochure style site for you.

They also include free web hosting and domain name registration for 1 year in all their packages. Seems like great value.

NewOdyssey (www.NewOdyssey.biz) specialize in the development of e-commerce shops but will also develop a standard brochure style site for you.

They also include free web hosting and domain name registration for 1 year in all their packages. Seems like great value.
Hi Jeff - Recommendations like this from first-time posters are likely to be treated with some cynicism round here.

Community groups in Dublin might like to check out the free community website facilities available from both Dublin City Council and South Dublin Co Co - see their respective websites for more info.

If you're after a turn-key solution with a good measure of search engine help, try http://www.sitestogo.biz/ - been a round years now, well connected with business groups, etc, etc, and based in Offaly - highly recommended.

HTH

Back