compensation from high court: tax and social welfare implications?

lorr01

hi,

does anybody no that if you recieve compensation from a car accident in the high court, is any of it taken as tax or what is the story with it please and thanks, and also do you loose your disability benifit and medical card also.

thanks

lorr

Re: compensation from high court

Is this Revenue booklet of any use?

[broken link removed]

Additional means could impact means tested welfare and other payments but Disability Benefit (as opposed to similar Allowances) is PRSI linked and not means tested and your medical card may or may not be means tested depending on how you qualify for it.

If in doubt get independent, professional advice. Check on the SW website and/or Ask your local for advice on you statutory entitlements and how any compensation payment may impact them.

Damage awards from the courts are not subject to income tax or PRSI.

damages are not taxable, but income from them is.

Is this Revenue booklet of any use?

[broken link removed]

Additional means could impact means tested welfare and other payments but Disability Benefit (as opposed to similar Allowances) is PRSI linked and not means tested and your medical card may or may not be means tested depending on how you qualify for it.

If in doubt get independent, professional advice. Check on the SW website and/or Ask your local for advice on you statutory entitlements and how any compensation payment may impact them.
hi

thanks a million for getting back to me.. i will take a look at the book you send me.and i didnt see anything in the citizens info centre that would answer my question..

thanks though

lorr

income from them, being income received from damages whilst invested by the receipient. This could be, amongst others, bank interest, dividends from shares, rental income from property bought out of the proceeds etc.

The medical card income guidelines do not specifically deal with compensation payments. I would imagine (but I may be wrong on this) that the compensation payment would probably be assessed in the same way as savings:

Capital Weekly means assessed
First 20,000 euro, Nil
Next 10,000 euro, 1 euro per 1,000 euro
Next 10,000 euro, 2 euro per 1,000 euro
Balance (e.g. capital in excess of 40,000) 4 euro per 1,000 euro

The easiest way to sort this out once and for all, is to ring the Medical Card Section of your Local Health Office. You don't have to give your name, just say you are making a general inquiry.

Last edited:
Yep, it will be treated the same as savings for means purposes, but as Clebman says, the reason for issue of the medical card will aslo be a factor in losing it or not (i.e medical needs)

The medical card income guidelines do not specifically deal with compensation payments. I would imagine (but I may be wrong on this) that the compensation payment would probably be assessed in the same way as savings:

Capital Weekly means assessed
First 20,000 euro, Nil
Next 10,000 euro, 1 euro per 1,000 euro
Next 10,000 euro, 2 euro per 1,000 euro
Balance (e.g. capital in excess of 40,000) 4 euro per 1,000 euro

The easiest way to sort this out once and for all, is to ring the Medical Card Section of your Local Health Office. You don't have to give your name, just say you are making a general inquiry.
thanks for your help

Back