TV Sender

gd2000

Does anyone have any experience / advice about these? What I'd like is to be able to view digital TV in my bedroom using one of these (they're available in Argos). Ideally, I'd like to just plug it in to my TV, and be able to bring the digital remote to my bedroom and have digital in my bedroom.

Is that what a TV sender does? If so - any advice about the products out there?

(BTW - it's only me in the house, so it seems cheaper to buy one of these than to get an extra digital box...)

If you are using Sky you can buy a small device which will enable you to watch/change channels ets without buying a 2nd box. The pictures from remote enders usually only allow you to watch but not change channels. Sky will require a cable connection, but you will get an excellent signal unlike some of the remote systems.

Most of the digi senders will allow u to change channels, just a small infra red unit from the back of the sender that u place in front of remote receiver on decoder. I would definitely agree with Bren, if its sky use the sky eyes and a cable. The digi senders are radio signals so can be difficult to keep perfect picture, it may loss signal if either sender or receiver are moved, even a tiny bit.

A discussion on it here:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=40848&highlight=digital+sender

Last edited:
Lidl have a great offer on these once or twice a year. I bought three on the last occasion for friends and relations.

The microwave disrupts the signal. Also ensure that your tv, video, dvd etc have enough scart connections.

I would second the suggestion by breng. If you have sky, you can do it easily (and cheaper) than with a video sender. You just need to ensure that you have a coax cable running from your skybox to your bedroom, and that you can make sure the cable is running direct (i.e not through a splitter or amplifier etc).

Not hard to set up either.

Wexfordman

Cheers all...

Unforunately I have NTL digital - so the sky solution is a no go (although it seems really good)...

Does anyone have experience with NTL digital and these devices?

The discussion at http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=40848&highlight=digital+sender is pretty useful alright - I should have done a more comprehensive search!

I'm leaning towards buying one to see how it goes... Disappointing about the interference, but I'm only likely to use it late at night, so hopefully not many microwaves or vacuum cleaners going then!

GD,

Maplin sell a similar device to the sky device that will work with any type of cable set top box. Cant remember the details, but saw it the other day. If you are interested, I will have a look when I get home and post the details.

Wexfordman

Wexfordman,

That sounds fantastic... If it's not too much trouble, then it'd be much appreciated...

if you can split the cable Before it goes to the sky box ie front room/ back room can you then run the two cables to two sky boxs so that different channels can be on in different rooms?

I bought and installed one of the maplin Digi-senders. I am not too pleased with the result. The quality of the reception varies greatly from good to unwatchable.

Hi GD,

Had a look at thje maplin site. Again, just to clarify, we are talking about extending infra red control of a device, the audio//video will be extended by coax as normal.

There is a very simple system that extends the IR wirelessly using RF. To be honest, it is a lot more straight forward to set up than the ones that extend the IR control over your coax, and are a bit more flexible.

Here is a link [broken link removed]?

The advantage with the above system, is it can control more than one device (eg a vcr) and you can add extra transmitters too. Very easy to set up.

I have used letsautmate plenty of times and woudl recommend them, although you should find these devices in Argos also. Again, these are IR devices only, and do not transmit audio/video, the idea is that you ahve already extended the audio/video via coax throughout the house. This means the video quality is very good as opposed to the probs mentioned above

The maplin devices, again similar idea, except the IR is sent back via the coax caple c an be found at [broken link removed]

These are also good, but a bit more finicky/. You cannot for example use them where you have an active device in line (ie, the coax cable must run dierectly from your sat box to your tv in the other room, and must not pass through any amplifiers etc). I have also found that these devices do not work with certain types of coax wall sockets (ones with capacitors in them). This is the receive device only, I will need to dig out the transmit device also for you if you want to go this route, although I think personally for your needs, the first device type from letsautomate would be best for you. Very easy install.

Regards,
Eamon

Wexfordman - thanks for that info... Seems like an extremely useful device, but I'm starting to get the impression that the sender isn't all it's cracked up to be!

I may buy a cheap one in Argos and see how well it works... If I don't like it I can always take it back!

If I decide to buy one, I'll post up my experience...

Thanks all (esp Wexfordman) for the advice...

Hi all, I purchased one of these AV Senders in Tesco a week or so ago. The make is Prolectrix. I managed to lose the instructions & can't get it to work once I set it up. Anyone else buy one of them and, if so, are they working ok for you?

Back