Is this an expensive quote from an electrician to install a new triton shower?

DublinBoy834

I got a quote from an electrician to install a new triton shower (basic model) and put in a few sockets around the house for €1000. Seems like a lot but since I have never got anything like this done before I am not sure. Does this seem expensive to anybody or would this be the going rate for an electrician?

Thanks

Re: Is this expensive

We had a basic Triton shower installed lately by a plumer and had some other small work done,came to €300,we live in Limerick so that may have an effect !

I was charged 100 euro per socket by my electrician.
980 euro to install the shower.

980 euro to install the shower.

did this include the cost of the shower?? If not then you were hard done by. I would expect somewhere in the region of EUR300 per day's labour cost would easily cover this.

Also, on the orginal question - I presume that was only about fitting the triton shower, not including shower tray/cabinet. etc.

Yes sorry that included the supply of the shower, shower try etc, should have specified.

For supply and fit of shower it seems reasonable enough. Have you tried getting other quotes ?

My advice is to buy the shower yourself. You will probably find it a lot cheaper that way. I had a plumber install a triton t90i power shower last year. Charged me 40 euro for an hours work. Not in Dublin so that is probably an issue.

Shop around with other electricians. Is there much wiring needed for the sockets/shower? You could buy all the materials yourself and that would just mean paying for labour.

aeems reasinable. I got a shower installed last year for €950

That seems off the charts to me. I got a new Triton shower installed last year for about 400 including labour. I did know the guy who did it for me but I know he didnt do it for the good of his health. Sounds like you should get a few quotes first that is unless putting in a few sockets is prohibitively expensive nowadays.

.. a bit high alright

Well, it depends. How many is a "few sockets" ? If the wiring for sockets has to be sunk into walls, then thats a big enough job per socket.

The shower fitting could range from 350 - 600 depending on whether or not the shower wiring is already in place. If not, a whole new circuit has to be installed back to the consumer unit (main fuse box). What about the plumbing - is it already in place or do you need new piping installed ?

This seems high to me. As mentioned by another poster, buy the shower yourself, then shop around for the most competitive price for the installation.

In the world outside the Pale, the electrician labour involved to fit it should be less than Eur 200.

Hmmm, how long is a piece of string?...

In my new build I asked to have a power shower (operated by a pump from the hot-water tank) installed in the main bathroom. This involved swapping out the already-installed hot-water tank for a bigger one, supplying the shower, doing the electrics and the plumbing (as the hot-press and bathroom are next door to each other, this was only a short pipe run), but not supplying a shower-tray as the fittting was over the existing bath. Total cost 800 including all materials, labour and VAT.

I also asked the electrician to fit a double switched 13-amp socket, a light-switch and ceiling-rose in the attic, fit an extra double switched 13-amp socket in the kitchen, swap a double socket for a single 13-amp socket and run an under-ground armoured cable to the concrete base for a garden shed (no shed yet, so no shed electrics!!!!). Total cost 280 including all materials, labour and VAT.

I asked the plumber to fit an exterior cold-water tap outside the kitchen. Total cost 65 including all materials, labour and VAT.

All these mini-projects seemed very reasonable to me and were legitimately invoiced as extras by the builder, so no tommers or nixers involved. We plan on moving in in early Feb, all going well.

Location Co Kilkenny

Break the €1000 down. You need an ELCB €60 tops average 20mts cable €100 Pull cord Switch €25 Mini trunking and sundries €30that leaves material at €215 including profit. Should take a day for a good electrician € 350 that €565 plus the shower. How many extra sockets are you getting? Say 4 that would probably cost about €200 - €250 so if the €1,000 includes the shower its not too bad.

yeah i think its about average price. cable is very expensive these days and including all the parts it would seem there or thereabouts

Back