What to do with Items left behind by previous occupants?

morpheus

Hi all,

Im still recieving a ton of post for previous occupants of our house, this includes letters to at least two other couples at our address. They must have rented, the property has only been legally owned by one other couple and is only 2 years old, we were told the property wasnt rented which has seriously peed me off.

That issue however is another can of worms, my main concern is the box of photos in the attic, someones communion related items and a bag of clothing, theres a radio cd player in the shape of a fanta orange can too. I want this stuff out but im not sure if I can just lamp it into the bin or not. I told the selling agency about it and have requested the address of their solicitor etc but theres been none forthcoming. I dont want to just destroy their mail, i know I cant but I want to open it and then contact the correct company associated and explain that they no longer live here.

Every day practically there is a pile of mail stuffed into the letter box and its starting to really annoy me.

Anyone had any similiar problems?

you can ask the neighbours, they might have some idea.

you never know.i can see its ur act of goodwill to keep the stuff for them.

if they moved out and they don't take the responsibility to their own belongs.no one should care more.

On the post front: get a red pen and write 'Not known at this address- return to sender' clearly on each piece of post and put it in your nearest letterbox. I haven't found myself getting another- most companies are keen to save postage.

As for the left behind belongings, it's admirable that you are concerned. I would pack them in a box with a label detailing where they were from and what the box contained. I'd then drop them to the selling agent and get some form of receipt from them- ultimately they have the information needed. Think you would then have discharged your responsibility.

Thanks, thats what I shall do. I'm a lifelong advocate of the theory of Pay it forward and all that. Ive plenty of big boxes now too, so that will have the added advantage of ridding me of one of them!!

Back