Car Fire Insurance

KathScan

My car engine recently went on fire. The assessor says it is a write off. Several people used fire extinguisners on it to put out the fire. If they hadn't used them the whole car would have gone up and probably damaged the cars parked beside it. As it is the Insurance Company will pay me their valuation for the car. They will then sell the car for scrappage.
I believe the cost of the firebrigade was covered by insurance if they had to quench it, but it was already out by the time they arrived. My question is will the cost of refilling these extinguishers be covered by my insurance.

It's going to cost a nice bit to have them all refilled.

Thanks.

My car engine recently went on fire. The assessor says it is a write off. Several people used fire extinguisners on it to put out the fire. If they hadn't used them the whole car would have gone up and probably damaged the cars parked beside it. As it is the Insurance Company will pay me their valuation for the car. They will then sell the car for scrappage.
I believe the cost of the firebrigade was covered by insurance if they had to quench it, but it was already out by the time they arrived. My question is will the cost of refilling these extinguishers be covered by my insurance.

It's going to cost a nice bit to have them all refilled.

Thanks.

more than likely you probalbly have to pay to have them refilled your self..that will be the least of the two blows after the insurance company tell you what they will pay you for your car.
something similar happened to me a few months ago.iwas outside a motor factors and some tool was messing around swapping a petrol filter.the person in the car must have had the ignition on the petrol went on the manifold and went a blaze he was trying to blow it out to no avail .i grabbed the fire extinguisher out of my jeep and put it out for him .after a few words i asked him any chance of 20 quid to get a new extinguisher and was told to **** myself. next time i see a car on fire it can stay on fire.

While I am delighted that nobody was hurt, if I could save myself the expense of having all these extinguishers refilled by claiming them on the insurance I will.

Thanks

While at 10am Mass yesterday I received a call on my mobile - my car was on fire outside my house. By the time I got home the fire brigade and Gardai were at the scene. The car was totally burnt out. The Gardai said it was deliberate and 2 guys were detained. The car was a '91 Polo to which I was very attached - it had served me well, clock on second round etc. But realistically it is of no value so will not claim for it. However I am told removal will cost €100 and fire brigade will bill me and this could be very substantial. Still feel I will not make claim - have been driving for 45 years claims free and want to protect my no claim bonus. Our area is quiet residential suburb and the 2 guys detained were not locals - just passing through and thought it fun to pour petrol on an old but good reliable banger. From what I'm told of their background no point in claiming against them. I'll just have to get over it and be glad nobody injured.

While at 10am Mass yesterday I received a call on my mobile - my car was on fire outside my house. By the time I got home the fire brigade and Gardai were at the scene. The car was totally burnt out. The Gardai said it was deliberate and 2 guys were detained. The car was a '91 Polo to which I was very attached - it had served me well, clock on second round etc. But realistically it is of no value so will not claim for it. However I am told removal will cost €100 and fire brigade will bill me and this could be very substantial. Still feel I will not make claim - have been driving for 45 years claims free and want to protect my no claim bonus. Our area is quiet residential suburb and the 2 guys detained were not locals - just passing through and thought it fun to pour petrol on an old but good reliable banger. From what I'm told of their background no point in claiming against them. I'll just have to get over it and be glad nobody injured.

Sorry about your car. You may be covered for the cost of the firebrigade under your car insurance.

Hey Oldtimer,
Sorry to hear about your car. If your not going to claim you could think about the following. If the two lads are charged and brought before the court the Guard can make an application for expenses for you for damages caused and the two lads will have to pay it - in saying this if they don't earn alot it will take time. When my car was broken into this is how I had costs covered and didn't have to claim. Worth a shot. Good luck. Oh I had one of those old polos too and they were great.

Thanks for above. No chance of getting anything from the 2 guys - unemployed and drug/alcohol problems. Cost me €100 to have my Polo taken away - almost cried as it was hoisted onto truck - marvellous car.

Back