Execution Only Services

F. Kruger

Knowing The Customer

Before providing a product or service to a consumer, a regulated entity must gather and record sufficient information from the consumer to enable it to provide a recommendation or a product or service appropriate to the consumer. The level of information gathered should be appropriate to the nature and complexity of the product or service being sought by the consumer, but must be to a level that allows the regulated entity to provide a professional service.

This requirement does not apply where:

The consumer has specified both the product and the product provider and has not received any advice.

Suitability

A regulated entity must ensure that, having regard to the facts disclosed by the consumer and other relevant facts about that consumer of which the regulated entity is aware:

a) any product or service offered to a consumer is suitable to that consumer
b) where it offers a selection of product options to the consumer, the product options contained in the selection represent the most suitable from the range available to the regulated entity; or
c) where it recommends a product to a consumer, the recommended product is the most suitable product for the consumer

This requirement does not apply where:

The consumer has specified both the product and the provider and has not received any advice.

I think it is important to stress the difference between Execution Only Services and Advice Services from regulated entities. Some requests to advisors fall between these two stools and, sometimes the line that divides them is smudged to accommodate a transaction. It's either black or white.

Isn't there a waiver a customer has to sign where they are receiving service on an execution only basis, i.e. that they have waived the fact find?

Yes there is, and some people will sign anything that they are asked to, even though they may not have selected the product,provider or funds that they have ended up with.

Of course, they then have no recourse later if it is not what they thought they were getting. The 'Execution Only' client has to do all the research.

It is my opinion that the majority of consumers cannot distinguish between the two services.

Back