Ceiling plaster costs

gd2000

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to get a whole ceiling plastered? There was a leak in the kitchen ceiling, and I had to tear down most of the ceiling to repair it. I had a quote, which seems on the high side for putting up the plaster board and skimming the ceiling. The dimensions are 3.2m x 3.5m. I'm in south Dublin if that makes a difference to the quotes!

Hi gd2000,for that size area you would be looking at 4-5 sheets of plasterboard and 2-3 bags of skimcoat at an approx cost of €80-90.
A good plasterer will charge around 200-300 per day with you supplying all materials.
A small job of this size should take approx one and a half days.
you could try the plasterer I use, Steve, phone 0860592985

Thanks Kiwi!

So an all in cost of €400 - 540 then! Slightly more than I anticipated!

Thanks also for the recommendation - it's always useful to get the name of a good tradesman!

I hate doing small one day plastering jobs....People likegd2000 dont seem to appreciate the fact that most plasterers have a labourer to pay for each and every day, do they think that the plasterer will tell the labourer to have the day off unpaid so that the customer can get his job done cheaper.

Apologies for the affront legs-akimbo - it was out of naivety rather than incredulity. Although I said it was more than I anticipated I didn't even remotely indicate that it was too much or that I was being ripped off.

TBH I don't appreciate the sarcasm in your post - you also have no concept of the amount or complexity of the work I have to put into my profession, and I would not expect you to. I would never criticise you for that though.

Politeness goes a long way!

Good point Legs,
And of course the van has to be paid for, tools, insurance, tax etc.
But every price seems to be a rip off in most peoples eyes

Apologies for the affront legs-akimbo - it was out of naivety rather than incredulity. Although I said it was more than I anticipated I didn't even remotely indicate that it was too much or that I was being ripped off.

TBH I don't appreciate the sarcasm in your post - you also have no concept of the amount or complexity of the work I have to put into my profession, and I would not expect you to. I would never criticise you for that though.

Politeness goes a long way!

gd2000
im sure legs can stand up for himself butill make a wee comment.
I dont think he was being sarcastic, he was just outlining some costs that people dont seem to know.

Kiwi, how often have you used this guy Steve? May need some plastering done in New Year and I'd prefer to go with recommendation. Of paramount importance....does he turn up when he says he will?

liteweight, I'm in the building game and if a tradesman didn't turn up on time he wouldn't last long. I've been using Steves services for the last 18 months since my own plasterer moved to Cavan and can't fault his work, he is one of the old school where every thing is finished with the trowel and not the sponge or sand paper the next day. if you are thinking of having work done make sure to book him well in advance as he is kept flat out.

kiwi

I was neither affronted nor being sarcastic, I was merely making the point that on price work the plastering gang makes a good wage each and every day and I dont think anyone would begrudge them that considering how hard they work, but I wont even bother pricing for small one day jobs anymore because they will inevitably actually end up costing me money to do them as even if the job is done and dusted by mid afternoon most customers do not appreciate the fact that you need to cover a days pay.
I dont think you have any concept of just how many weeks I have to work in a year simply to get my overheads paid before I earn my first penny.
Have a nice Christmas gd2000 on your fortnights paid holiday and handsome christmas bonus.

TBH legs, I don't think your post has added to the discussion. You're quite hypocritical... You have no idea of my work, or how hard I work, or how many weeks I have to work to cover my costs... You don't know what I do. How do you know I have either paid holiday or a bonus?

I'm glad you don't quote for small one day jobs - you don't like them. It was very fair to say that I had no concept of what the job entails - I am not a plasterer. I am happy that I now understand more about the job and it's costs. However, I don't appreciate the didactic tone. You have a bee in your bonnet and are taking it out on people who are asking honest questions. I hope you too have a merry Christmas...

"I had a quote, which seems on the high side for putting up the plaster board and skimming the ceiling"

Gd200 if you claim to have no knowledge of what a plastering job entails, then how can you make a statement like the above.
Legs is quite right to make his comments. So lets call a spade a spade.
You would be one of those people who wants a job done, BUT, hates parting with money for it. And it is so obvious.

Folks, let's stick to the topic here. The OP asked a question believing the quote was high based on their understanding of what needed to be done. Thanks all for clarifying this, I'm sure Gd2000 won't make such a mistake again, but please leave out the personal stuff.
Leo

I dont believe I was being personal and certainly it is not my intent to insult anyone.... some seem to find insults where non exist, or, as is the case with advice forums simply do not like to hear advice that they did not wish to receive. As for my having a bee in my bonnet and taking my wrath out on people in this forum I think you will find I give an honest and experienced opinion with courtesy, one that is given freely in the hope it will be of benefit to those who ask........One other thing though ,I am never wrong!
gd200 I will not take affront however to being labelled a Hypocrite, sarcastic, nor dictatorial by you and if I may be so bold as to borrow your earlier comment in this thread. " politeness goes along way"

.....you could try the plasterer I use, Steve, phone 0860592985

Steve did our plastering today. Thanks Kiwi, he did great work, we'd have no problem recommending him and, as a bonus, he's a really nice guy.

I'm in south Dublin if that makes a difference to the quotes!
i suppose it could if you were in one of the bad areas of south dublin maybe the plasterer would be afraid to park outside in case his van is robbed

hey it looks like steve doesnt have to be booked too far in advance after all :) how much did he charge and what size was the job.

Unknown to me, Mr. LW had already called Steve before I made my first post above. We are still in the market for plastering to be done in the New Year and will be asking Steve if he can oblige.

He obliged us by fitting us in when he saw the state of our bedroom!:eek: Part of the ceiling was down (about 6ft.X12ft.). We had dry rot and the walls and ceiling of the bay had to be stripped back. Ceiling and part of the walls had been dry lined and a couple of other sections had to be plastered from scratch to tie in with old plaster. Not sure of square footage but as it's a Victorian house (on southside :D), the walls are about 10ft. high. We had been let down by plasterer and were grateful Steve fit us in. Having seen the calibre of his work, I've no doubt that he's kept very busy.

I'm no relation BTW and I don't know Kiwi from Adam but I am very grateful for the recommendation. And gd2000, if you're still in the market, I'd give him a call!

Well, if nothing else this thread seems to have found a good plasterer... Unfortunatley I had already booked a guy (recommended by a work colleague who had lots of work done recently). If he's good, I'll certainly post up his number in case Steve isn't available...

Back