Key Post: Broadband for two users

T

twoozies

What's the story if there's two people who want to use broadband on two different PC's in a home? Are you charged twice? Do you just need two modems and then it's just the standard 35 or whatever?
Is the connection speed affected by having two users on the one line?
Is broadband (eircom/NTL) better than wireless in this instance or does it matter?

Two people can use the same broadband connection. Check the Contention ratio, it would probably be about 4:1 or 8:1 meaning that many users can use it.

Connection speed would possibly be halved if the two users were using the service at the same time.

You probably won't notice any difference in performance, unless either user is doing heavy downloads of music or videos. Get a router to sit on the end of the broadband line and share it out to the two PC's. If you don't fancy the wiring involved to hook all of these up, get a wireless router and wireless cards for each PC.

router

Thanks for the replies. So regardless of which option I choose we need a router. But the wireless option might be better as a lot less messy?
Is the router the only extra we need then?

wireless

If you have broadband with Eircom, they have an excellent offer (probably the only one they have) for a [broken link removed] for 49.99.
I was wondering what the spec was on the router so Ive just called eircom. The sales guys dont have any info on it, you have to ring their tech support number which is a premium call number. And thats to get info on a product that they have for sale. Nice one lads.
I was going to get it for my NTL BB which I ordered yesterday.
The price for similar rate is lower, the contention rate is better (NTL = 17:1 as compared to 48:1 on basic pkg and 24:1 on the eircoms premium pkg). Price of tech support with NTl = 0, nada, nothing!
As to your other question, all you need is the router and a card. You can probably get both for around 100e if you shop around. Thats for one router and one card.
Try elara.ie theyve have an extensive range.

You Dont Need A Router

Hi, if you are linking only 2 pc,s you do not need to go to the expense of a router. You can hook the 2 pc,s together via either

A - wireless ad-hoc network (ad-hoc means network cards only - no base station)

B - crossover ethernet cable linking the 2 network cards together (crossover is a patch lead with some of the wires swopped internally) - this only works for 2 machines and eliminates the need for any hub.
You can either make one by splicing a cable (search google for wiring diagram) or buy one in pc world etc

For the broadband sharing , you can use windows 98/xp 's built in internet connection sharing feature (ics)

Right click on my network places , properties right click on your (usb) broadband connection in, properties ,advanced and switch it on

This gives your server network card an internal ip address of 192.168.0.1 which you cant change

On the other machines network card use the following manual tcp/ip settings

Ip address 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Dns 194.125.133.10

That is it

Contrary to what people might tell you , this feature works very well and does not affect the server machine in any way. The only downside is that the internet connected pc must remain on at all times

Also i would not get too bothered about contention ratios as the likelyhood of everyone else in your group a- being online and and b- downloading a large file simultaneously is next to zero . I have seen offices with 60+ users sharing a single eircom intro package without any complaints whatsoever

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: sory about the capitals

I have my pc connected to the broadband box as installed by eircom.

If I want to move it to another room, more or less permanently, is the best approach to get a wireless modem?

Is it as reliable as the wired modem?

What is the actual procedure?
I plug in the wireless modem into the existing socket.
I plug in something to the back of the PC or do I have to take the pc apart to install something?

Eircom are offering a wireless modem for 49.99. Can I get it elsewhere cheaper or better? What else do I need to buy?

Brendan

> If I want to move it to another room, more or less permanently, is the best approach to get a wireless modem?

Yes.

> Is it as reliable as the wired modem?

Yes - although you should take the usual steps to secure a wireless base station/access point/router from unauthorised wireless access (e.g. enable WEP/WPA/802.11x authentication/encryption, MAC address filtering, change the SSID etc.).

> I plug in the wireless modem into the existing socket.

Yes. You can get combined wireless access points, DSL routers and ethernet hubs (and sometimes built-in firewall etc.) so that you can attach wireless PCs/laptops as well as normal wired (ethernet) PCs/laptops.

> I plug in something to the back of the PC or do I have to take the pc apart to install something?

For wireless access you will need an 802.11b (11Mps) or 802.11g (54Mbps) network interface card. Normally these would be PCI cards which need to be installed inside the desktop with the antenna sticking out the back and then the drivers/software installed. You may be able to get USB ones that don't require you to open the PC - I'm not sure.

This tutorial might be of interest to you:

computer.howstuffworks.co...etwork.htm

If I want to move it to another room, more or less permanently, is the best approach to get a wireless modem?
If it is permanent and there is already a wired phone socket in that room and you don't have any requirement for other PCs in the house, I don't know I'd bother with wireless.

Oops - missed that. Yes - if the move is permanent then get the phone connection moved or use an extension cable (not sure if this works with DSL but it does with dial-up). On the other hand if you want mobility, might get a laptop, might add other PCs to your home network etc. then it might be worth considering WiFi.

hi im with ntl and have broadband with modem, the trouble is i want to move my pc to another room whats the procedure in doin this?do i have to call a ntl engineer to move the socket thing or is it possible to do this your self? ntl are chargin £50 to move it to another room..dunno wat to now...help

Welcome to AAM, Lunika.

I bought a 10m 'phone cable extension and routed it behind/above skirting boards to another room. Shouldn't be a problem if your DSL signal is reasonably healthy, and at €5-€10 outlay, it's worth trying! :)

Back