New taxi fare scheme & info displayed in cabs

ClubMan

I presume that it's part of the new fare/regulation scheme that taxis display information stickers about the new rules? I have noticed that all taxis now carry stickers with info (e.g. in the rear passenger windows - facing out). However every single taxi that I have seen so far carries the Irish language version of these stickers which, in all probability, are not understandable by a majority of people. Is this a case of compliance with the letter but not necessarily the spirit of the legislation? Or maybe the Taxi Regulator should have insisted on bilingual displays?

I presume that it's part of the new fare/regulation scheme that taxis display information stickers about the new rules? I have noticed that all taxis now carry stickers with info (e.g. in the rear passenger windows - facing out). However every single taxi that I have seen so far carries the Irish language version of these stickers which, in all probability, are not understandable by a majority of people. Is this a case of compliance with the letter but not necessarily the spirit of the legislation? Or maybe the Taxi Regulator should have insisted on bilingual displays?

I'd noticed this as well.

My assumption was that the inside of the same sticker has all the information written in English. Having decided to boycott taxis given their recent antics in Dublin, I haven't been inside one for a while so don't know.

Given that you'll spend more time inside the taxi than outside, you'll have time to read what's said there, in English. Is this the case?

My presumption that the letter vs spirit of the law was with regards to the requirement to have both languages present, and that the Irish on the outside was done in that spirit.

My assumption was that the inside of the same sticker has all the information written in English.
Ah! Good point. Can anybody confirm?
Having decided to boycott taxis given their recent antics in Dublin, I haven't been inside one for a while so don't know.
I rarely use taxis myself other than when there is no other option (usually the airport run outside public transport hours) so I don't know either.

Today I saw the new fares in english on the inside of back window. Didn't notice the outside so cannot comment on the Irish version. Ronans theory makes sense though.

Unfortunately there has been some significant increases since the change. Most of the increases appear to be due to new fixed charges that are on the meter before you start moving.

A fare that used to cost 18 euro has increased to 23 euro (Cork city to Airport, 1pax, 1 bag, 6am - so no traffic)

Well i go from dawson st in dublin to heuston station it was about 7 euro before the increases, i got on e yesterday and it was still 7 so no change for the only taxi i'll ever get in dublin.

the writing on the inside was english but as the driver said, how long will they last, some drunk on a sat night peeling them off, remember they have the taxi number on them so best of luck trying to buy a new one of them every week !!!

Cabs are also obliged to carry the stickers - they are marked as a "no-hail taxi-cab" now. Apparently the cabbies & taxi-drivers were quite irate about the stickers as they cannot now park their cars incognito because even without the plate on the front/back of the car & the roofsign you can still tell which car is a taxi.

Well i go from dawson st in dublin to heuston station it was about 7 euro before the increases, i got on e yesterday and it was still 7 so no change for the only taxi i'll ever get in dublin.
You could instead stroll down to the quays and get a bus to Heuston if that's any use?

Back