Key Post i-tunes

D

dollyclare

Firstly a happy new year to all who have been so helpful to me in the past.
Will i-tunes only download to a pc or i-pod.?
What can I do about always getting "error on page"(and a small yellow triangle) on certain sites which I could access no problem in the past.Could ms explorer have changed my security or something .(has enabling cookies anything to do with it)
thanks

Re: i-tunes

iTunes will download to either PC or MAC. The songs on iTunes will only work with iPods.

What can I do about always getting "error on page"(and a small yellow triangle) on certain sites which I could access no problem in the past.

Can you give some example sites that cause this problem?

the main one is empireonline.I have been using this site for a few years now but lately cannot enter all the comps I used to.When I try to log in I get error,also I tried to register again and I'm told the name is already in use.I also get a regular newsletter from them.Livingonline.ie is the same problem.I e-mailed their help a few times but got no reply(yet).also pigsback.com.It seems that when I go away fromtheir home page to enter a comp on another that I'm blocked.

itunes

There is software available that will convert I-Tunes to regular MP3 and without built in restrictions without loss of quality.

Re: itunes

the main one is empireonline.I have been using this site for a few years now but lately cannot enter all the comps I used to.When I try to log in I get error,also I tried to register again and I'm told the name is already in use.I also get a regular newsletter from them.Livingonline.ie is the same problem.I e-mailed their help a few times but got no reply(yet).also pigsback.com.It seems that when I go away fromtheir home page to enter a comp on another that I'm blocked.

I thought that the problem was the "error triangle" but you seem to be talking about other problems altogether here? If you get problems with the display of, say, www.empireonline.com , then make sure that you have Macromedia Flash Player 7 installed as they seem to make heavy use of it. The other problems that you mention are another ballgame altogether as far as I can see and I can't really advise on them at the moment given the details that you've posted.

There is software available that will convert I-Tunes to regular MP3 and without built in restrictions without loss of quality.

Any conversion will result in some loss of quality and MP3 isn't as good quality as AAC.
You can use iTunes to burn your AAC files onto CD and convert them to MP3 at the same time. No need for other SW.

MP3 isn't as good quality as AAC.

Surely it depends on the bitrates used? For example 320Kbps MP3 (constant or variable bit rate) is extremely high quality and generally accepted to be indistinguishable from the original CD quality. Even lower bitrates may be acceptable to many people. Personally I have generally found it hard to detect any degradation in sound quality with MP3 even at 128Kbps but, then again, I probably wouldn't be considered an audiophile... :)

MP3 isn't as good quality as AAC.

Surely it depends on the bitrates used? For example 320Kbps MP3 (constant or variable bit rate) is extremely high quality and generally accepted to be indistinguishable from the original CD quality. Even lower bitrates may be acceptable to many people. Personally I have generally found it hard to detect any degradation in sound quality with MP3 even at 128Kbps but, then again, I probably wouldn't be considered an audiophile... :)

320kbps MP3 would result in very large file sizes, even with Variable Bit Rate.

AAC results in smaller file sizes at similar quality to MP3, or better quality at similar file sizes. For example, 128 kpbs AAC (called "High Quality" AAC in iTunes) is (in my experience) similar to 160kpbs MP3 (also called "High Quality" in iTunes).

I also prefer not to "downsize" an already compressed mix by converting from AAC to MP3 or from high quality to low quality - I think that it is better to go back to the original source, as the algorithm you are using may be better at storing certain types or frequencies of information, but these may already be lost by the initial lossy compression.

I usually rip my CDs twice - once at high quality for storing in my iTunes library, usually at AAC a high bit rate and with VBR; then again at a lower bit rate such as 128kpbs or even 64kpbs MP3 to play / use as a ringtone on my mobile phone.

The higher quality is then suitable for playing on my home stereo, where I would be more likely to appreciate the higher quality (or conversely, to notice the compression) than I might on PC speakers, for example.

AAC results in smaller file sizes at similar quality to MP3, or better quality at similar file sizes.

Isn't this what is also claimed about WMA but has never (as far as I know) been inedependently verified?

Interesting to hear about your "dual pronged" ripping strategy. I'm still planning my own, primarily for my 20GB player on toe go or as a home hi-fi replacement but possibly also to allow for a smaller capacity player too.

iTunes etc. - Compressed Audio comparisons

AAC results in smaller file sizes at similar quality to MP3, or better quality at similar file sizes.

Isn't this what is also claimed about WMA but has never (as far as I know) been inedependently verified?

PC World has an interesting article on the subject - .

[broken link removed]

Although MP3 is the most widespread format, it performed the worst at 64 kbps, achieving an average score of only 2.2 [ out of 5 ].

Judging from our tests, we think most people will find music compressed at higher bit rates indistinguishable from the original versions. Music fans will probably find even moderately compressed songs acceptable, especially if the compression means they can fit more tracks onto a portable player. However, this compromise becomes less tolerable when it involves compressing the music to the lowest bitrate.

For general use, 128 kbps is fine (or 192 kbps if you have really good ears). If you want to pack a lot of audio into a small amount of memory space, you can take the bit rate down to 64 kbps for RealAudio and 96 kbps for AAC and WMA. The lowest rate that is really usable for MP3 is 128 kbps; any lower, and the quality begins to suffer significantly.

The answer to this is probably blindingly obvious.

I don't have broadband at home, so decided to download (via itunes) a couple of tracks for my new mp3 player which I brought to work. I didn't realise/understand that these songs would be in AAC until I tried to copy them unto my MP3 player and the itunes software won't allow me to convert them into mp3 format as they are "right protected". I've changed my options in itunes from AAC to mp3 for future downloads but does this mean that I have to buy the songs I bought this morning again in mp3 format?

Thanks
Rebecca

Ok thanks Leo. I didn't expect this bit to be so complicated. I thought I could just download them and transfer to the player.

Rebecca

Back